Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ruffrida

Thread: 1999 1.8T - New to this modding lark, but keen learn. Suggestions?

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14

    1999 1.8T - New to this modding lark, but keen learn. Suggestions?

    Says it all in the title really, I've just bought a V reg 1.8T A3, love it to bits already and am well up for getting my mod on. Doing a few necessaries at the moment - just had a new front right tire, MoT, standard service. New front anti-roll bar links and bushings and getting the cam-belt done on Friday.
    I thought I'd start with cosmetics as that's something I can appreciate just from looking at it. There's some rust bubbles on the roof rails and a wee bit on the roof itself, plus age related nicks, scratches and mini-dents so I was going to get that sorted, but that's kind of escalated into a full respray and I'm going to get it smoothed on the sides and front bumper (losing the side rails, not sure if that's the proper name for them?) cos I got a banging quote for it. Also getting the black plastic all round the bottom sprayed.
    Eventually I want some BBS dares with the stretched tires and lowered, but until I have the funds I'll probs just refurbish the alloys already on there.

    I guess I'd just like some suggestions on...anything really. Under the hood, general mechanic tweeks, aesthetics, so on, so forth. Cheers guys

    Here's a pic of how it is now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Redhill Surrey
    Posts
    635

    My Social Networking

    Add Grale1 on Facebook
    Nice looking car mate, really like the colour, I've just got into the modding thing myself, I recently bought a silicone tip, silicone turbo outlet pipe, jetex cone filter, getting it remapped on the 22nd of this month to, I got a red poly bush in the dog bone mount, and a 3" downpipe and decat, I am going to get a forge 007p diverter valve also, hope that helps you mate.

    Everyone on here is very helpful, I'm always asking for advice,

  4. #3
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Hi there welcome to the Forum, loads of tuning/modding info here... A3/S3 FAQ / How To's / Tuning Info STICKIES - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

  5. #4
    Jay A3's Avatar
    come fly with me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenhithe, Kent
    Posts
    1,786
    Welcome mate, it's an addiction this modding malarkey. Good luck with it all. I take it you got the 150bhp a3. Engine code agu?
    Have you thought how far you want to take your car? Sticking with the k03 turbo, upgrading to a k03s which is a direct swap, or completely upgrading to a k04? (same turbo as the s3 boys) good place to start is dv and air filter.
    <Jay A3 build thread>



    241bhp K03s - R Tech

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Grale1 View Post
    Nice looking car mate, really like the colour, I've just got into the modding thing myself, I recently bought a silicone tip, silicone turbo outlet pipe, jetex cone filter, getting it remapped on the 22nd of this month to, I got a red poly bush in the dog bone mount, and a 3" downpipe and decat, I am going to get a forge 007p diverter valve also, hope that helps you mate.

    Everyone on here is very helpful, I'm always asking for advice,
    Hmm cheers, deffo stuff to think about - I'm not sure about doing anything to it's output yet cos it would rocket my premium (only 22) and there're some proper nutters round here so I wouldn't feel too safe not being fully insured...but stuff that's just better quality than standard parts/ replacing typical parts that would make it perform better etc I'm well up for

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Hi there welcome to the Forum, loads of tuning/modding info here... A3/S3 FAQ / How To's / Tuning Info STICKIES - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
    Cheers and sorry, fairly new to forums in general too - I'll take a scout around!

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay A3 View Post
    Welcome mate, it's an addiction this modding malarkey. Good luck with it all. I take it you got the 150bhp a3. Engine code agu?
    Have you thought how far you want to take your car? Sticking with the k03 turbo, upgrading to a k03s which is a direct swap, or completely upgrading to a k04? (same turbo as the s3 boys) good place to start is dv and air filter.
    Cheers bro, yeah that's the one :D eventually I'll remap it but I'll let my premium go down first! Not thought much about replacing the turbo tbh, but a dv seems kinda necessary if I want to get the most of the T part of 1.8T haha. I think I would stop when mods start seriously affecting fuel consumption though - atm I'm interested in aesthetics and performance rather than power..dunno if that makes sense. Feeling the bug though!

  9. #8
    Jay A3's Avatar
    come fly with me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenhithe, Kent
    Posts
    1,786
    Search te stickies that s3 Dave posted. Dog bone mount seems to be a common one
    <Jay A3 build thread>



    241bhp K03s - R Tech

  10. #9
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pie eating land
    Posts
    1,349

    My Social Networking

    Follow ruffrida On Twitter Visit ruffrida's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunt Codpiece View Post
    Says it all in the title really, I've just bought a V reg 1.8T A3, love it to bits already and am well up for getting my mod on. Doing a few necessaries at the moment - just had a new front right tire, MoT, standard service. New front anti-roll bar links and bushings and getting the cam-belt done on Friday.
    I thought I'd start with cosmetics as that's something I can appreciate just from looking at it. There's some rust bubbles on the roof rails and a wee bit on the roof itself, plus age related nicks, scratches and mini-dents so I was going to get that sorted, but that's kind of escalated into a full respray and I'm going to get it smoothed on the sides and front bumper (losing the side rails, not sure if that's the proper name for them?) cos I got a banging quote for it. Also getting the black plastic all round the bottom sprayed.
    Eventually I want some BBS dares with the stretched tires and lowered, but until I have the funds I'll probs just refurbish the alloys already on there.

    I guess I'd just like some suggestions on...anything really. Under the hood, general mechanic tweeks, aesthetics, so on, so forth. Cheers guys

    Here's a pic of how it is now.
    Really like the color, a good slapping with the lowering stick would do nicely.

    Loads and loads on here fella, have a good search round you will be surprised what you can find that wont effect the insurance alot, if any
    Stunt Codpiece likes this.
    B6 1.9tdi Quattro Avant Sport:
    My Build Thread = http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-c...so-begins.html

    Coming soon: -35mm Springs, Colour coded FOG grills, Trip stalk upgrade.
    Wish List; FMIC, BV43 turbo, Bigger Remap, Fat Clutch,Full Stainless, S4 Brakes, 5m mspacers - front, 10mm spacers rear, MFSW.

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay A3 View Post
    Search te stickies that s3 Dave posted. Dog bone mount seems to be a common one
    Any recommendations? I found this Powerflex Golf Mk4 TDI Engine Dog Bone Bush PFF85-420R

    seems to be the right one - read through some stuff in the stickies about vibration in the cabin; not really up for that, and every one seems to be going for the diesel version...like I said, super new to this - the diesel one does go on my petrol audi right? Didn't think EVERYONE had a diesel...
    Last edited by Stunt Codpiece; 6th September 2012 at 15:47.

  12. #11
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Yes mate the red one fits....

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Cheers bro, sorry to be the annoying newb!

  14. #13
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Redhill Surrey
    Posts
    635

    My Social Networking

    Add Grale1 on Facebook
    There is no vibration when fitting the red one which I have done the other week, the yellow one I think is stiffer tho, but it seems the people that have the yellow don't get vibrations either, I would have thought if you over tightened red or yellow ones they would vibrate, either way it's a good mod better gear changing I have found its more positive

  15. #14
    Jay A3's Avatar
    come fly with me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenhithe, Kent
    Posts
    1,786
    Now the fun begins....
    <Jay A3 build thread>



    241bhp K03s - R Tech

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Grale1 View Post
    There is no vibration when fitting the red one which I have done the other week, the yellow one I think is stiffer tho, but it seems the people that have the yellow don't get vibrations either, I would have thought if you over tightened red or yellow ones they would vibrate, either way it's a good mod better gear changing I have found its more positive
    I'll get me some red one ordered then, cheers :D

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, S. Wales
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay A3 View Post
    Now the fun begins....
    Definitely

  18. #17
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    760
    Welcome nice motor.
    Modding?
    Sell it and buy an S3 easy :-)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Im New 2 This Forum
    By TanyaS3 in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13th October 2007, 08:01
  2. Thinking of doing this mod...
    By silver75 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 24th November 2006, 09:20
  3. Hello.New to this forum.
    By 5vpc in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31st August 2006, 07:39
  4. My New Car! - This Friday 8.30am
    By ianhowell in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 6th April 2005, 19:40
  5. Strut Brace for the A3 - has anyone done this mod?
    By Speedo in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd February 2005, 20:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO