Think it's catch can time - where's the ****** can?!

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hi guys. So, car's done 130k now, and when I replaced the rubber turbo charge pipe (because the OEM one had split) for a forge upgrade, the inside of the old pipe was pretty full of oil. Yes, this may be turbo seals (which I plan to do anyway, and could be attributing to my current 1 liter of oil every 1000 miles even though I've changed the cam cover gasket problem), but I think it's time for a PCV delete and catch-can install.

So, first thing, get all the equipment together. Second thing, where on earth are you guys finding catch cans with proper 19mm inlet and outlet ports?! I'm starting to feel like an internet idiot now because I can't find any lol!!

A lot of people (incl. me) go for the Saikou Michi catch cans from the US as they're actually pretty reasonably priced and are a decent quality bit of kit. These come with 19mm outlets if you get the Stage 3 can & cost about £90 incl. shipping from US. There probably are others that use a 19mm outlet and there's no real reason why you need to be tied to this size as hose reducers are readily available.

I did this install recently and biggest problem I found was finding some decent oil resistant hose that actually liked to be bent! I used clear reinforced PVC hose at first as it's relatively thin walled but found that as soon as the temperatures rise it just becomes really soft and the hose just starts to collapse in on itself at bends. Using proper thick walled oil hose at the moment but it's a tw*t to fit in and refuses to bend. Still on the look out for a decent alternative!

hi,

i got my oil grade hose from Roose Motorsport in Lincoln and they are pretty Damn Good even the postage cost and Time was brill and they do it in different colours too if needed.
Give them a try.

Olly

Thanks guys,

Reason for a proper 19mm inlet/outlet is to ensure the largest bore i can get - reducers effectively restrict the flow which I would like to avoid if possible

i got 19mm oil grade from them for my Saikou Michi Catch Can, i got 2m which came to £61 ish due to it beikn Fluoro Lined oil grade hose.

that look good mate, i only got mine from there as i wanted to be a fancy pants and match the rest of my engne bay with the red hose lol.
but yes that looks like it will do the job.

I fitted a Saiko Michi can a year or so ago as part of the group buy that was on here.The 19mm hose we used was pretty inflexible, but was fine for the runs required. The can is installled on the bulkhead, behind the tip. I'll post a link to a separate thread with a pic of my engine bay in a minute...

I would show you my Catch Can build but Dr OCD Paul up there ^ would get upset when he see's how dirty his bay is compared to mine haha :moa:

cool, thanks guys. yeah, saw the sticky, anyone with an APY engine done this? I assume it's exactly the same

S3_Olly - Have you got a pic of the oil hose you used fitted? I've been thinking about getting some fluoro-whatever coated silicone hose to do the job for a while but is generally quite expensive.

Squirrel.O.D. - That stuff you linked to looks decent and a bend radius of 70mm seems pretty good, might look at that as an alternative. As it happens space is tight on the S3 so fitting in hose reducers is a bit of a waste of space but I don't think using a smaller dia. would make a big difference on a road car and majority of aftermarket catch cans for cars with much bigger engines and higher bhp use smaller dia. plumbing.

I found that the bulkhead fitting position was too cramped and as long as the inlet of the catch can is no lower than the cam cover breather then it doesn't really matter where you fit it.

you could always buy one of the cheap ebay ones put some wire wool in it and make some 19mm out lets, that what i did. and that way you get to play with tools and make a mess :D

could do coatesy, but those ones don't have a 19mm bore throughout the ports, therefor even is for make 19mm connections, the flow is restricted any by the rest of the can

i think the threaded holes are about an inch each don't hold me to that though, infact don't buy one and do what i said until iv 100% finished mine lol as it might not work now you have said that

I just got this can from 42draft designs in the states. 19mm ports, baffled, dipstick. The quality of the finish is second to none.
4fcb3fd2be386fda53e7b71aee65f168.jpg

Before this can I ran a toyo can with 15mm inlets, never had a issues and made 285bhp at bills so I don't think the engine was struggling to breath.
I then got a custom can made with 19mm ports, great can but did lack the bling factor hence the reason for the 42 draft can :)
I run all my cans to atmosphere.