crashing when i go over bumps on the pasenger side top mount ?

harvey01

Reaction score
hi could this be a topmount or a shock as the shocks are new if its a topmount what ones are best to use ?

Std ones and new bearings are fine or an 'upgrade' is to fit LCR ones as they are harder

<tuffty/>

Define a "crashing" noise mate, cause in my experience top mounts normally "creak" unless they have totally fell to bits! Have you checked the lower arms, drop links and anti roll bar D bushes?

hi all its got coilovers (new) its when you go over a pot hole it bangs quite bad but only one side .

How low have you set the ride? It may be the car is to low and the suspension is to hard so has minimal compression and the banging is part of the joys of coilovers! Have you still got the helper springs on? Could be something hitting on the chassis/subframe

i dout its top mounts they would have to be 40 years old lol

snapped spring
ball joint
wishbone bush
too low bottoming out

pull it apart and look only way to find out :)

hi mate its got helper sprinps im going to look to make shore there is nothing loose . its not that low

Check the lock nuts are tight, check your ball joints, lower arm bushes etc. Are they good coilovers or a more affordable kit? I have a friend with a budget kit on a mk4 golf, and that is a hard "crashy" ride

ill check the bits , they are a cheaper kit but ive used them before and they where still going strong 5 years later and its only one side and its been getting worse

Have you put the shock in the hub seated correctly, could be a faulty damper, drop link tight, ball joint seated correctly, top mount fastened tightly to the damper, lock nut tight, both front coil overs adjusted to the same height, hub nut tight, lower arm bushes. It could be that now its lowered and the lower arm is sat at a more horizontal angle the rear bush could be coming out and it's getting worse as the bush is coming out?

im going to check all this monday afternoon mate thanks for the help