What's that noise? Diff? Bearing? Holy crap, it's the...

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Well, the other day I was driving home from work and I heard a faint whining sound coming from the rear of the car. Immediate thoughts were towards the rear diff. Then as I went over a bump in the road there was a definite "clonk" and the noise became louder, although still relatively quiet. By now I had slowed down in case there was something seriously wrong and the rear diff was about to disintegrate or something!

Anyway, when I arrived home I inspected the diff and all looked fine. It was just warm to the touch so I tentatively ruled it out. The next day I drove to work slowly and the wine subsided. Driving along with the windows open, with ears on full alert (!), I noticed a metallic rattling sound every time I went over a bump in the road. It was definitely coming from the off-side rear wheel, not the centre of the car. This made me feel a bit better and I started thinking more about wheel bearings, brakes or linkages on that corner of the car.

Yesterday I got the rear of the car up on axle stands, removed both wheels and had a proper look. To my horror I found that half of the inner rear brake pad on the off-side corner of the car had broken off and was lodged in between the rear disc and the metal guard plate behind it. This explains all the noises I'd heard. The original "clonk" must have been the point that the part of the pad broke away. When I removed the caliper, the other part of the pad just fell away from the backing plate!

These are EBC Red Stuff pads that have only covered 20k miles since I fitted them! I've ordered a new set and have sent the photographs below back to EBC to register my complaint. Thankfully the disc seems un-marked.

Has anyone else experienced this with EBC or any other brand of brake pads? Thankfully part of the pad remained in place, otherwise the backing plate would have come into direct contact with the disc under braking.

Here are some pictures:

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

The piece of the pad was lodged in here:

DSC_0067.jpg

Glad youve sorted it mate and glad it wasnt anything major.

Ive heard of this before but on the fronts. Where the brakeig material has left the backig plate or has just broke up, think that used to be on the green stuff pads though

ebc pads have famously had issues with friction material coming off the backings. Not cool at all :(

I'd suggest trying some Mintex 1155 rears, they're pretty much on par with a DS2500 performance wise, and easily sourced for very sensible money.

Thanks Prawn, that's a bit worrying given that I have Red Stuff pads all round with only 20k on them. I'll check each of them and replace them with something else if I have any more issues like this.

I'd get on to EBC wanting my money back... Dangerous & unfit for purpose...

Well, good news, EBC have offered me a full refund on my replacement rear pads. Really pleased.

Any explanation as to why it happened mate or have they said anything about your concerns for the front ones that you have?

Glad it was nothing too serious, you got to it in time and you were ok!!

Not discussed it with them to be fair - I had to duck out of a meeting this afternoon to take the call.

Well it was a pretty crappy meeting to be fair, so I was looking for an excuse. Thankfully EBC saved me.

That's true of about 95% of meetings. The only good ones start with "We're going to give you X more..."