Driveshaft question

Grale1

Reaction score
Ok well as some may know that I have been having problems with my car pulling left, and some people have said I should replace bushed etc, I haven't done as of yet but today when I was under the car to do something I thought I would have a look at things 1 to see about a knocking I have and 2 for worn bushes or anything bent.. Anyways as I layer on my back I thought I'd see if I could move the passenger side wheel, I noticed then I could hear a noise and then I could see the rubber gator where the driveshaft connect to the gearbox I think was moving moving, so I tried the driver side and no movement, could this be the problems I'm having??

Next question would be what would I need to do .

Thanks Simon

Driveshafts always "float" and have slight movement, but if you can move it that much then you have a problem with the lower ball joint/bottom arms as the lower arm has excessive play. Also check your anti roll bar drop links and D bushes for play

Define movement... they driveshafts are designed to have a degree of 'plunge' to allow for the arc of movement you get when steering... if you can move it up and down though thats not so good..

<tuffty/>

Tuffty if I'm laying on my back and get hold of each side of the wheel I can see it move in and out and a little knocking noise, if I do the same on the drivers side there is no movement, so when Im doing this pushing I can see the whole wheel hub and shock moving a little, I've always heard a knocking sound on the left side when driving on uneven roads

If you are pulling on the wheel and its moving that suggests the lower ball joint has play... the movement in the driveshaft is just a result of the movement elsewhere...

If you can grab the wheel at quarter to three and rock it or six o'clock and rock it thats wear in the ball joint or some other suspension component...

If you are grabbing the driveshaft and moving it in and out that is normal for the most part... there are exceptions but generally thats fine...

<tuffty/>

I'm grabbing it at quarter to three and rocking side to side, so safe to say I should get new ball joints wishbones drop links and arb bushes then and get it aligned

I would also check for play in the rack tie rod arm... I have seen these wear on Mk4 chassis cars before... ball joint generally shows up rocking at six o'clock... rack should show up at quarter to three... did you jack the wheel up first? prob best to check while the suspension/wheel is unloaded...

Any movement in the ball joint and the rack should be noticeable...

<tuffty/>

Yes the front of the car was on axle stands as was going to put a dp and decat on which I didn't do in the end, so should I get new track rod end also and tie rod arms

Yes the front of the car was on axle stands as was going to put a dp and decat on which I didn't do in the end, so should I get new track rod end also and tie rod arms

Only if they are worn... I am just really saying that these are all possible points that I have seen to cause a knocking noise... I would double check tbh to be sure but is sounds like the ball joint... can't say for sure as I am not there :)

<tuffty/>

Ok well I'm going to order new ball joints wishbones and drop links at least I'll have eliminated those

I ordered new wishbone ball joint drop links and tie rod ends last night, going to order new wheel bearings also and next week coilovers, I forgot to mention also whilst under the car the drivers side drive shaft the rubber gator has split where it connect to the gearbox, is this easy to replace? Can it be done or new shaft?

They can be done, but of a pain as it fastens internally so the shaft needs to come out and be taken apart. GSF do a boot kit if memory serves!

Are the driveshafts easy to replace yourself? As tuffty has been pointing me towards ball joint problems I did notice that there is play in the passenger side ball joint when you rock the wheel (with out load) there is movement in the ball joint

low airflows, ebc controlling boost but not controlling boost, egt retrofitted... and what looks to be a TT ecu file in there? 018H a TT? sounds familiar.. done a few of these lately..

maf size on there?