Sky InsuranceBadger5

Thread: S3 won't start

Reverse Gear

Status

S3 won't start

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help - I have a 2000 S3 that won't start.
    Just over a week ago it was struggling to start after being sat for more than a few hours (overnight). This got worse over the next few days until I ended up having to jump start it. I checked the battery which seemed to be on it's way out so decided to replace it. New battery started the car fine every time over the next few days until I came to it last night and it wouldn't start. Couldn't hear the engine trying to turn (like it does when the battery is low/flat). When I turn the key I can't even hear the relay 'click', or any other noise. I've checked the two fuses I can see on the relay panel and all fuses that look like they could be related to the ignition system on the main fuse panel. All ok.

Any ideas of what to try next? You'll have to forgive me for being a car maintenance novice but I'm also a tight bugger so would rather not have to pay someone to fix it if I can do it myself!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

2. # ADS
    ADS

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

S3 won't start

Sounds like your alternator isn't charging your battery back up. Are you able to swap batteries with a known working car to see of anothe battery fires it?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Jump start the car, when it's running put a volt meter on the back of the alternator to see what it's out put is. Failing that put the volt meter across the battery, it should be a minimum o around 13.25 volts if memory serves. If its below that then you need an alternator! If it's charging fine it could be a lazy starter motor drawing to many amps!!

Chugger

Status
    definitely sounds like the alternator isn't charging the battery. when you get it running, check the voltage, if your not getting around 14.4v, that points to the alternator. There should also be a fuse for it also which might be worth checking, also check for corrosion on the engine bay fuseboard
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that the car wouldn't jump start, but did manage to bump start it.

My voltmeter showed ~14v across the battery (with engine running) and I get ~12v at the cable connected to the starter motor/solenoid yet I don't even hear the solenoid or starter motor try and do anything when the key's turned to start the engine. So I'm guessing the starter motor needs replacing/refurbing? Think the alternator is ok because it was charging the old battery fine last week, just seemed like the battery wouldn't hold the charge for more than a few hours.

Thanks for your help, guys. If anyone else has any advice or thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again,

Rob

1st Gear

Status
    Starter motor mate

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah, looks like it. Had a mechanic friend just bob round and have a quick look and he's convinced it's the starter motor too. I'll pick a new one up on Monday.

Thanks for your help