Smell from windscreen washer

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Hi

When I use my windscreen washer I am getting an eggy / sulphur smell in the car.

I suspect there is algae or bacteria in the washer tank.

Anyone else had this and have any tips for getting rid of the stink?

Cheers

Yes, it's definitely the windscreen washer, when I squirt the screen it smells like a stink bomb!

I'm sure I read something about this somewhere.

You could try draining the bottle completely,then add some baby bottle steriliser solution ,or a mild bleach .Leave it in for a couple of hours then flush it out .I had the same problem with a previous car. Ithink its when you start using diferent windscreen wash mixes.

funnily enough my dad is getting this in his car but its just a constant smell even when u get in u can notice it..its only done 10K and he's had it from new so its not as if an old person has pee'd on the carpets or seats. its really pongy and eggy whatever it is... i was just worried the aircon could be leaking something dangerous into the car?

If he turns the aircon/cc off in the winter (which you're not supposed to do) then it will be a bacteria build up in the pipes. You can get some anti-bacterial spray to get rid of it.
Climate control is designed to be on all year round, presumably it's still under warranty (unless he's only does 3k miles/year).

Open the bottle and have a good smell. That'll tell you if it's off the windscreen washer.

Oh and I had a similar problem (not a bad smell) but I noticed there was a residual biuld up on the walls of the washer.

Cleaned it and it's sorted.

normally you get this smell wen just topping the washers up with water, it goes stale and does smell over time.

empty the bottle and give it a good rinse, then make sure you put plenty of screenwash in, and keep topping it up with a mixture instead of just water