Whining noise!!!

gash

Reaction score
Looking for some help chaps.

Got into my S3 this morning to a whining nose when i am turning a coner, the more lock I put on the louder it gets and always off throttle.

This led me to think it may be the power steering pump on its way out. any one got any ideas?if so does it just need new fluid or a replacment pump.

Is this a big job? do i buy a new or second hand pump? how much will it cost?

Cheers

Gary

hello mate

have you checked the fluid level? is it ok? i'd try changing the fluid first, its not a hard job, just may be messy! Failing that the pump isnt hard to do either! Not massivly expensive from GSF, Euro Car parts etc.

not checked the level yet, I will do that tomorrow and fingers crossed it just needs a top up.

Cheers for the reply

Gary

i would mate, might just be a low level! ive spent awhile doing what i do and dont really come across pump failure! If the fluid is low and you cant see any obvious leaks, give the steering rack gaiters a squeeze in case the seal have failed in the rack and the boots are full of fluid!

Chaps

Really struggling to find the grade of oil i need for my power steering.

Been to a few places, SMS today and the guy asked me if I knew the colour of the fluid. Gave me the optiopn of red or green, told me I need to know the colour before he could give me the right one.

Can anyone tell me the grade/colour I need??

2001(Y) audi S3, 210BHP

Cheers

Gary

Chers mate

Just out of curiosity, whats the difference between the colours?

Any mods to your car? mine silver AMK, same wheels the lot!!!

Gary

Audi VW stuff is green

My car at this minute in time is factory standard, but it's booked in with Northampton Motorsport on the 29/9 for a Revo remap, I'll be going the milltek route etc, I'd like some more power but want to leave the car standard looking to a degree, just some big brakes, better springs, poly bush etc! At the minute I'm jus getting its ride/running/paint etc mint, I've just had the car painted again so it's looking beautiful!!

How about you? Any plans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forge breather hoses, thats it at the moment.

Thinking bout a re-map just not to sure what one to get!!

Mate knows a guy that does angel maps but not heard great reports bout them.

Would love a Brembo brake kit but they pricey, had a few guys trying to sell me them but 500 quid second had, lot of cash for somthing that could be in poor nic.

Same as you. Would like to keep it looking standard, they better like that.

You had long?

Gary

The stuff you need is green for VAG power steering systems Red ATF fluid will destroy seals. You NEED the mineral GREEN stuff

Last edited:
Make sure the only fluid you get is from main dealer and is specific to your car, as already mentioned others will mess you PS up!!

Its less than a fiver normal retail from main dealers.