MAF De-meshing.... Stay with me

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So i know this has been covered in the part but.

When i first got the s3, one of the first mods i did was de-mesh the maf, the car seemed to love it, it pulled so much better through the rev range etc, shortly after though i read a thread by welly i believe, were he had done the same but it turned out to mess with the maf readings etc and loose him power. After this i bought a new MAF and left the meshing alone.

What brought this back to my attention though was a post from tuftys build thread were he's posted about the MOFO MAF and using a 4 bar FPR.

So onto my question, i've read several post on various forums other the last 12 months about de-meshing the MAF but to compensate for the mesh been removed, its said to either use a 6" tube before the MAF to smooth/straighten the airflow or use a velocity stack, now im looking at buying a velocity stack off Bill on pay day and itll be mated to a 4/5" silicone coupler, now with this in mind would it be safe to de-mesh my MAF? Would using a 4 bar FPR help compensate like with the MOFO MAF? Does anyone have a spare S3 MAF tube that i can have/buy that i can de-mesh and do some logs on?

Whats your thoughts chaps?

Trust me mate... its been tested on the dyno... airflow increases are false...

In fact on Wellys it made more power IIRC meshed... (as you have already read)

The mesh aids laminar flow (Laminar flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which improves the accuracy of the MAF... its a pretty sensitive device at the end of the day...

I'd leave it tbh...

<tuffty/>

Yeah i remember reading something in one of his threads.

I was only asking mate as like said, id read on a few places that the 6" joiner/velocity stack helps if de-meshed to keep the sensor readings normal but guessing thats incorrect then mate.

The mesh straighten outs the air flow, rather than a swirling mish mash of air running through the MAF , which 1 second might be smooth , next vortex the mesh creates a constant straight airflow, it doesn't/shouldn't increase or decrease airflow but provides a constant flow of air which when traveling past the the maf sensor gives a more precise long term reading. Like laminar flow devices on an aircraft wing, they don't increase performance but give a more reliable and even performance which is in the scheme of things better and more predictable.