tackling cambelt tomorrow

a3tsportkyle

Reaction score
doing my cambelt and waterpump tomorrow on my agu. looks easy enough but just thought i'd post to see if anyone had any tips or anything to make the job any easier . any help would be appreciated. ordered cambelt kit and waterpump,(dealer parts)anyother parts i may require?

Does the cambelt kit include the damper for the tensioner? If not, i would get one. Would be silly to not change it while it's all in bits.
Maybe change the aux. drive belt too while it's off.

A third hand is usefull! When I did my S3 (AMK) biggest pain in the **** was the engine mount!

Agreed on the engine mount...... easy enough to unbolt but it was like a Chinese puzzle trying to remove it from the car

ha ha dam straight, i didnt bother removing the mount, unbolted it and just worked round it, as i didnt fancy the chinese puzzle, but mad tensioning the belt far harder than it needed to be!

Make sure you break the sprocket from the camshaft and fit it loosely back on when retention-ing, so it doesnt move the shaft but can turn the sprocket to spread the tension.

got it all done ..bit of a knightmare it was.the engine mount was a right ***** but managed to get it off without too much hassle,put new water pump ,tensioner and pulleys on got all the belt in place but could i heck get the belt on,ended up having to fit belt without the tensioner in place.anyway got belt on and turned over by hand 2 turns and the cam was one notch out so unhooked belt spun cam and got it all bang on the flywheel notch,cam notch and crank all lined up.(needed 2 sets of eyes for this tbh lol).however i had a major **** up .....cracked sump with jack lifting it up for the engine mount ..not happy and 220 pound lighter all in all for this belt job and sump job and 6 hours it took in rain and darkness lol.

mate gutted to hear that! but at least the belt is done now! while your sump is off, dont forget to clean the oil pick up strainer pipe!!

got it all done ..bit of a knightmare it was.the engine mount was a right ***** but managed to get it off without too much hassle,put new water pump ,tensioner and pulleys on got all the belt in place but could i heck get the belt on,ended up having to fit belt without the tensioner in place.anyway got belt on and turned over by hand 2 turns and the cam was one notch out so unhooked belt spun cam and got it all bang on the flywheel notch,cam notch and crank all lined up.(needed 2 sets of eyes for this tbh lol).however i had a major **** up .....cracked sump with jack lifting it up for the engine mount ..not happy and 220 pound lighter all in all for this belt job and sump job and 6 hours it took in rain and darkness lol.

Damn.. I use a plank of wood to spread the weight and act as a buffer. **** happens but you always learn a lot ;)

Had my cambelt and waterpump dpne 2 days ago as waterpump failed on me only hicup me and my mechanic had was the nut on the crank pulley wouldnt come off for love nor money had to use a big air gun in the end
Good luck with it.
Grant

yeah cleaned the pickup pipe it had a big lump of silicone init from previous sump fitment.i was suprised to see the old water pump looked perfect condition considering theres no history of it being done. anyways all sorted just took it for a good drive and its all good.all in a days work.

Props to you guys that can do this stuff yourself...I just read that and half the parts I dont even know what they do or where they are. Was like reading the Koran....

little cracks in the sump are easily and permenantly fixed with a bit of liquid metal. just drain the oil out and prep the area well. dont refill with oil until its gone off.

awesome stuff liquid metal. once saw someone at a drifting day repair a holed ally sump with it and a coke can was a proper hole too bigger than a £2 coin! it didnt leak and got him home.

it was a cheap patterned sump i think anyway and the crack was about 6 inches long.could be chewed with the hassle so on the fone to tps straight away had it all in stock.less hassle.