Engine Bay

S3_Olly

Full Throttle
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Hi All,

i am wanting to change the plastic screws that hold the engine bay trims on for some stainless steel ones but i can only see the Audi TT that has a hardware kit for this kind of thing, does anyone know what i would need or where i could possibly find something that is good enough for the job.
Basically fed up of the breaking or ruining the plastic item when cleaning up the car or doing general maintenance, your help would be greatly appriciated.

Olly

I used some stainless steel hex head machine screws I had laying around the shed!

I've just been out and checked the packaging, and they are "M1.6 x 20 Cap Head Hexagon Socket Machine Screw A2".

The bag has a screwfix label on, and came in a bag of 50.

I use them with some small washers on the fuel filter bracket, the cover that is on the left hand side of the engine, and the battery cover. I think you can get them in black as well if you prefer that look.

sounds good ill have alook at those, what size washers did you use and did you put nuts on the back of the screws.
also what did you use for the engine cover as they are funny rivet quarter turn screws.

cheers olly

Ah, I haven't replaced the engine cover ones!

The washers are just a nad bigger than the heads, and I didn't use any nuts or anything, they screw into the existing brackets.

I've got loads of them if you want me to post you half a dozen FOC?

PM me an address if so.

Hi mate if I'd have known I would have, when you said they were from screw fix I went down this morning and bought some but thanks mate appriciate that.
I also bought loads of different graded sandpaper as I'm attempting to polish up the boost pipe and manifold which should keep me busy for a while.

Olly

S3_Olly, how much did they cost? think I may have a go at this myself.
Tried looking on screwfix but wont load on my phone.
thsnks

It was about £3.20 for a bag of 50 all you will need is the M6 countersunk washers.
Im in the middle of enquiring about the quarter turn screws.
Ebay is best place for countersunk washers.

It was about £3.20 for a bag of 50 all you will need is the M6 countersunk washers.
Im in the middle of enquiring about the quarter turn screws.
Ebay is best place for countersunk washers.

Thanks mate, I will try and get to screwfix next week and see if I can grab some of these. will you add you findings for the 1/4 screws on here?