can feel air around the throttle body on idle

karl210

Reaction score
Only just noticed today that when the car is idling and i put my hand around the throttle body i can feel air escaping from somewhere :uhm: now surely this shouldnt happen no matter what as there is a vacuum anyway? I couldnt pin point exactly where its coming from but it was around that area, any ideas what it could be or any ways to find it? thanks

Cheap way will be to get a can of carb cleaner from andrew page/euro car parts etc and lightly spray it around the throttle body, when the revs pick up, you've found your leak!

I suspect its the fans... air doesn't escape on idle... it gets sucked in... there is only vacuum on idle..

Turn off the air con (hit the eco button) and wait for the fans to stop then try again... I suspect you won't feel a thing...

<tuffty/>

yeah exactly what i thought, thought i would just check on here before messing about with it, like you say it will either be the air con with i think was actually on, or i do have a slightly split 7 pipe coming off the cam cover so could be that also, good to know its nothing, cheers

Its plausible for the PCV 'funky' pipe to be split of course... they go very mushy when tired... a split would be fairly obvious from there though... this of course would still 'blow' on idle as PCV is always under pressure of sorts but generally not loads on idle...

<tuffty/>