a few questions about my 2003 a3 1.8t AUM

5l4y3r10

Reaction score
just brought my first audi. now these are the questions if anyone can help?

What oil should be used as heard you should only use a certain type?
Is it worth putting a oil catch tank on as i like the look of them in the bay and if so which one should i buy?
I want a dump valve but heard you need a recirc one? the forge 007, does it make a dumping noise or cant you hear it?
a rough price on a cambelt change? 300-350 pounds sound about right??
anyone got a link to a good fmic for the a3 and also a guide or information on how to do it?
last but not least the exhaust, i am going to take it for a remap after all is done, i dont want it to be loud though i would rather it purrr if you know what i mean? any ideas on what to do?

I think that is all but if anyone has any good ideas on what else to do as in upgrades before a re-map that isnt to much money please let me know.

the audi is a 2003 AUM engine and is a sport with the k03s turbo. cheers in advance tom.

Hi there mate, I'll try and answer a few of your questions for you.

So first of all oil. 5w30 fully synth is the best way to go.
The oil catch tank is a good mod as it stops all the crap getting sucked back through the inlet and lowering the octane of your fuel. I have done this mod and vented to atmos and works a treat. Have a look on eBay for one there are loads to choose from. Ideally you need one with 19mm outlets and to be baffled.

I also have the 007p which is what you need. These engines don't like non recirculating valves. Personally it has made the sound more quite, but for the better I think.

Not sure about the price on a Cambelt change but I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you and also these with the FMIC. I'm lookin for one of these for my next mod before a remap.

Exhaust side of life. I went to exhaustuk in Sheffield which are brilliant. I also wanted the quiter less chavvy sound and they did this perfect. I got a 2.5" turbo back with a twin tip on the end but cost a little bit more than usual as I have a Quattro and the downpipe is an **** lol.

As for other upgrades before a remap. Ideally 007p, silicone tip and a better flowing exhaust are a minimum really. Have a look in the stickies which will have some good info.

Hope this helps mate. Enjoy the forum, it's a useful sight

Cheers,

Keiran.

cheers mate very very helpful! yes i am going to order a catch tank, fmic and 007p soon. that is exactly what i want just not a chavvy sound just a nice noise haha. how much do you think it would cost for the same sort of thing you got? have you still got a cat then, didnt de-cat it? cheers again... tom

also if i brought a catch tank with 15mm outlets what would i need to buy and why is it important for them to be 19mm cheers again?

You would probably be looking at about 4 to £500 for one mate. I got mine with no cat as it was obviously cheaper and also flows better. Just need to know a friendly mot station or have a spare costom cat to fit for an mot. I just didn't get a sports cat as they were pretty expensive.

With regards to the catch tank, 19mm is the size of the outlets on the rocker cover and the plastic 90 degree bend on top of the oil filter which will be going to the catch tank. You can get smaller outlets on the catch tank, but then you will just need a plastic reducer piece to reduce the silicone to the same size as the outlets on the tank. Have a look at the how to fit a catch can in the stickies which will give you a good understanding on what is needed to be done.

Hope this helps,

Keiran

ok thanks, just looked and it has 5w40 in so all good... and for those who are thinking i am able to drink the oil and determine what oil it is you are wrong haha.. the oil that was put in by previous owner, the emptyish bottle is still in the boot :L

As cambelts go i think 300-350 with a full kit and water pump is about right if that helps dude.