Brake Bleeding

GSXpress

Reaction score
I've had my brakes off while fitting my new H&R springs and have just tried to bleed them. I have done this using the traditional 2 man method and it appears to work fine until the engine is started at which point the pedal just goes straight to the floor. I tried re-bleeding but had the same result. Has anyone had this problem or know what the problem is?

you will have got air in the master cylinder. There is a 8mm bleed nipple on it that you will need to bleed.

[ QUOTE ]
save yourself a lot of time and hassle and have the brakes blead at a garage. I messed around with mine but just gave up in the end and paid the local VW £45 to blead the brakes.

Goes against my principal of DIY mechanics, but you don't want to chance it with brakes.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this one. Couldn't be bothered to do mine last time. Just took to me local VW dealer as they also have a fixed price for brake fluid changes. Got my first official stamp in me book too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i have the exact same problem at the moment. fitted new black diamond discs & pads but after bleeding system pedal goes straight to the floor when the engine is started.

spoke to a mechanic & he said it will possibly need a new master cylinder if ive got air into it.

is that the case? OR is it definately possible to get it bled & get my brake pressure back in the pedal? :confused:

i think i'll try phoning my local Audi garage today & ask them if they can do it.

cheers

its definately possible to bleed it properly and sort the problem out.

You can do it yourself with Vag Com but to be honest as said above you would be as well taking it to a vag garage if you arent sure what you're doing

as Khufu says: you need to bleed the master cyl. first but there are two nipples on it, then bleed each corner furthest away first i think. vagcom say the ABS only needs bleeding if it has run completely dry.

i think i'll leave it to the experts. booked it into Audi tomorrow. they quoted me £70 to bleed the brake system including the master cylinder.

hopefully that will be it sorted cos i'm missing my car & want to try out these new discs & pads

job done. £70.50 from Audi & lesson learned. "get someone who knows what they are doing to do it next time" :s3addict: