Alternator Part Code - 2001 AMK S3

JonnyG2606

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I don't get to use my car much and the last couple of times have had to charge the battery up - over the weekend I put the battery back in the car and went off for a bit of a drive - within an hour the battery warning light came on and then slowly the dash lit up like a Xmas tree - ESP light, ABS etc. I managed to get home but then could not start the car again before re-charging the battery - the car starts and drives fine when it is charged so I assume that the alternator is not charging the battery - unless anyone can offer any other suggestions?

Could anyone tell me the correct part no. for the alternator on a 2001 S3 (AMK Engine) - I have looked on GSF/Euro Car Parts but there are 8 or 9 different ones and I don't know which is the right one!

Thanks,

Jon

Before you totally condemn the alternator, have you checked the voltages with a voltmeter?

You should be getting 14.6v or thereabouts at the alternator, and 13.6v or above at the battery terminals with the engine running.

On mine, I was only 12v or less at the battery, which meant the charging cables and earths were the culprit. I replaced the cables and cleaned up the earth points underneath the battery tray and on the engine block, and I got my missing volts back!

Yes, you guessed it, I only did the above after buying a new alternator!

There is nothing special about the S3/AMK alternator, any of the listed ones will fit, although I went for the 120 Amp one, which is the same output as the original alternator.