sump sealant or gasket?

harvey01

Reaction score
as above i can get the gasket from euro car parts but ive not got a tps near me or will audi do it off the shelf ?

OEM sealant is the way to go, part number is D176404A2. Found this on ebay, very good price. If i remember correctly i paid around 20 quid for a tube last year.

The 20v turbo doesn't use a sump gasket...

Use the OEM sealent... anything lese simply leaks..

<tuffty/>

You can get a gasket though Tuffty. There's a part number floating about. That said, I'm doing my sump pretty shortly (and pickup) and I've got OEM sealant to use.

You can get a gasket though Tuffty. There's a part number floating about. That said, I'm doing my sump pretty shortly (and pickup) and I've got OEM sealant to use.

Yes, I am aware there is a gasket but never seen one fitted to a production car... not sure which 20v's they were made for or if its a third party part but no 20v I have ever worked on has had one or needed one... its an extra rubber bit that is likely to fail through heat/oil (and lets face it there is enough rubber bits on our engines already doing that without adding more) and an extra face for a potential oil leak...

The only time I have seen one fitted was to a Mk2 Golf with an AGU 20v conversion... never replaced it though when we rebuilt the engine...

VAG sump sealant is the most reliable method of sealing sumps I have used to date... not even Bills Ibiza sump leaks using this stuff and thats spanked around a track...

<tuffty/>

i used it tonight made shore i put plenty on so i dont have to do it again .Going to leave it overnight then fill it up and run it for a bit and fingers crossed