Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jojo

Thread: what are the best anti roll bars?

Reverse Gear

Status

what are the best anti roll bars?

what anti roll bars are the best? Read that 22mm for the front and 19mm for the rear is ideal. Will be runnning with coilovers and rear adjustable tie arms and front strut braces. Golf mk4 r32 anti roll bars are 23mm front and 19mm rear some people use these but are they as good as eibach, neuspeed ect?

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status

They're cheaper and appear to be just as good from what I've read. I've just bought the rear R32 but am yet to fit it.

Reverse Gear

Status
    did you buy from a vw dealer? are you going to be running polybushes or standard bushes?

1st Gear

Status
    I have the eibach kit and can't fault them
    REVO Stage 2, Eibach anti roll bar kit, forge 007p diverter valve (yellow spring), Badger5 turbo intake pipe with Jetex filter and Neuspeed heat shield, Forge upper bost hoses, N75, DV and Cam breather hoses, XS Power 3" downpipe 200cell cat and 3" cat back system, Apex 30mm springs, N249 bypass, Oil catch can and PVC delete, Front Mount Intercooler............

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    I went with Neuspeed, 22mm front & 19mm rear. Matched with Eibach springs, Bilsteins, & poly bushes & the car handles like it should!

65k & 9 years old & drives better than it came from the factory!
    ...... Now this one's MUCH better!...

ZAS
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4quatt View Post
    I went with Neuspeed, 22mm front & 19mm rear. Matched with Eibach springs, Bilsteins, & poly bushes & the car handles like it should!

Are the Neuspeed ones stiffer? The way I understand it, the stiffer it is up front the more understeer you'll get, so is that why you go with the 19mm at the back?

Not really getting the physics on this one.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S4quatt View Post

It's not exactly difficult to make an S3 handle better than the factory setup to be honest.
    S3quatt likes this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Are the Neuspeed ones stiffer? The way I understand it, the stiffer it is up front the more understeer you'll get, so is that why you go with the 19mm at the back?

Not really getting the physics on this one.
    This depends on the car. Specifically on the 8L S3 platform, increase the front ARB size will create more understeer, you need to increase the rear proportionally to retain the same characteristics. Just increasing the rear ARB size is suppose to improve turn in, but there's no proof it improves on the limit handling, but the theory is, it should.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    i have the H&R ones though i have yet to fit them with B14's they're due next week let you guys know the difference cant wait personally

2nd Gear

Status
    I was under the impression that 19mm up front and 23mm rear will dial out the current under steer setup? Making it more neutral.
    Rear 19mm arb on it own will induce oversteer?

ZAS
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
    I was under the impression that 19mm up front and 23mm rear will dial out the current under steer setup? Making it more neutral.
    Rear 19mm arb on it own will induce oversteer?
    Buzzer, that's exactly why I think they slap the 19mm on the back when putting a bigger one up front, I guess it counteracts the understeer you introduce by making the rear a bit more edgy.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Handling is too subjective to give a definitive answer to this and the OP is non specific over what the definition of 'the best' is...

So... generally speaking the S3 has 19mm front and 15mm rear ARB's as std... this gives a more understeer bias...

Upping the thickness of ARB's proportionally will give less roll through corners and over a certian thickness add to the stiffness of the springs (harder ride)...

Off the back of the std setup... to make the car understeer less and move towards a balanced setup you either reduce the size of the front or increase the of the rear... when the rear is proportionally stiffer than the front then you go from balanced to oversteer... when the front is proportionally stiffer than the rear then you go from balanced to understeer...

R32 (23mm/19mm) ARB's will provide less roll in the corners but keep the understeer nature of the car... the 22mm/19mm combo thats deemed 'the best' will essentially remove understeer but... this combo was tested by a member of the forum and while there is no reason to doubt his conclusions one mans idea on handling is going to be different to another's... so this should be taken as a guideline...

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 30th August 2012 at 11:28. Reason: Corrected std rear ARB size for S3
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status

The subjectiveness of other peoples preferences and opinions and as well as my judgement on getting ones I'd like first shot, swung the decision for H&R antiroll bars front and back as they both have two sets of holes allowing you to adjust the ratio between front and rear and tailor it to preference

I put both of mine on the softer setting ( further hole on the bar giving more leverage) but will be trying the rear on the next set of holes in as fancy seeing if it will produce more oversteer
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    I think just an R32 rear is a big improvement on standard. Lots of people have just an R32 rear for this reason.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Just the rear R32 ARB on mine and its fine, no oversteer or understeel but on coilovers so that does help
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This depends on the car. Specifically on the 8L S3 platform, increase the front ARB size will create more understeer, you need to increase the rear proportionally to retain the same characteristics. Just increasing the rear ARB size is suppose to improve turn in, but there's no proof it improves on the limit handling, but the theory is, it should.
    Obviously increasing them both allows the car to corner flatter.
    I increased the rear more than the front in order to dial out some of the understeer.
    now the car feels more neutral if it does go in the corners IE. its more likely to drift than push wide if you get my meaning.

Status
    It's not exactly difficult to make an S3 handle better than the factory setup to be honest.

OOOOoooooOOOO!

LOL!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Just the rear R32 ARB on mine and its fine, no oversteer or understeel but on coilovers so that does help
    Same here and seems perfect.....

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I have been researching this quiet a lot and reading a lot of the threads and stickies...

I will be opting for the Neuspeed 22mm Front ARB and using it with the R32 19mm Rear ARB so I can get the 'flattest' cornering.

Along with my LCR top mounts, AP coilovers, and fully poly bushed - I am hoping that I will end with a perfect set up....I'll report back once it's all fitted around the end of September.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    I have been researching this quiet a lot and reading a lot of the threads and stickies...

I will be opting for the Neuspeed 22mm Front ARB and using it with the R32 19mm Rear ARB so I can get the 'flattest' cornering.

Along with my LCR top mounts, AP coilovers, and fully poly bushed - I am hoping that I will end with a perfect set up....I'll report back once it's all fitted around the end of September.
    I would have thought you are just going to promote stiffer understeer with that setup...

6th Gear

Status

Same thoughts as Dave about that set up?

Don't suppose you should really take much notice of the thickness's of bar when comparing from manufacturer to manufacturer as one companies 20mm roll bar could be stiffer than anothers 22mm due to different material composition?
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I would have thought you are just going to promote stiffer understeer with that setup...
    I was going by what EssThree tested and have read a few other people are running and 22/19 is apparently spot on....

I may get the Rear R32 ARB, and replace the Front OEM ARB bushes first and see how it goes from there as the Neuspeed Front ARB is around £160ish....

Just with the Rear R32 ARB upgraded though it will be 19/19 .....I've had my S3 for around 4 years now so I expect that set up will make it handle completely different - I just don't want to be caught out tbh and end up facing the wrong way whilst pressing hard! lol

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I would certainly try the r32 first, it completely changes the feel of the car...and go from there...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Handling is subjective... Ess_Three did some testing and found that F22mm/R19mm suited him
    Star Performance Testing Day Pt8 Anti-Roll Bars

After re-reading it I noticed I made a small mistake on the std ARB's and seems the S3 has a 15mm rear not 14mm as I first thought so I'll edit that...

This would explain why fitting a 19mm rear ARB tends to balance the S3 out handling wise but won't give you flatter handling in the corners as the ARB size would need to go thicker proportionally to achieve that

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I would certainly try the r32 first, it completely changes the feel of the car...and go from there...
    Will do....I'll report back once it's been fitted as my cars feeling a bit floaty at the moment and don't have a huge amount of confidence in the bends..... So New poly bushes, and R32 ARB here I come

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I just tried to order an R32 ARB from Audi, it's brand prohibited, so I need to go VW to order the part! Surprisingly, they are not that expensive, just under £109 inc vat!, bushes are on top of this price. Kinds of make the Neuspeed 19mm rear ARB pointless, unless you really want it red!?

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Likewise Joe, I've now ordered from Battersea VW but struggling to get in during their service dptments opening hours, grrrr

Reverse Gear

Status
    I just tried to order an R32 ARB from Audi, it's brand prohibited, so I need to go VW to order the part! Surprisingly, they are not that expensive, just under £109 inc vat!, bushes are on top of this price. Kinds of make the Neuspeed 19mm rear ARB pointless, unless you really want it red!?
    The r32 isnt as stiff as the neuspeed one is it?
    Tuffy mentioned 'R32 (23mm/19mm) ARB's will provide less roll in the corners but keep the understeer nature of the car...'

5th Gear

Status
    Had the R32 Front and rear fitted on last S3. Was a bit of an impulse purchase at the time, as subframe was already off for a replacement /upgrade clutch. So most of the labour was already paid for, it made sense to swap them out, before reassembling.
    Audi RS3

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew-247 View Post
    The r32 isnt as stiff as the neuspeed one is it?
    Tuffy mentioned 'R32 (23mm/19mm) ARB's will provide less roll in the corners but keep the understeer nature of the car...'
    Eeeerm, they are both 19mm, I can't see how Neuspeed would make theirs from a harder metal? I was just after the rear one.

1st Gear

Status
    The R32 rear arb mentioned above, is the Mk4 Golf ?
    What the standard retail price for these ?
    Cheers

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    r32mk1
    mk,4chassis

1st Gear

Status
    Found some more info :
    FRONT:
    1 x 1j0 411 305 AF (FRONT 23MM ARB) £67.58
    2 x 1J0 411 314 T (21MM FRONT RUBBER MOUNT) £4.93 EACH
    2 x 1J0 411 336D (CLIP) £5.50 EACH
    2 x N 101 016 03 (BOLT) £0.80 EACH

REAR:
    1 x 1J0 511 409 K (REAR 19MM ARB) £89.17
    2 x 8A0 511 439 (ARB CLIP) £4.73 EACH
    2 x 4B0 511 327 Rear ARB Bush £3.27 EACH
    2 x N 010 236 6 (BOLT) £0.62 EACH

Prices are indicative. Most VW part departments have some flexibility on prices ... so be nice and haggle.
    You may want to go for Powerflex bushes instead.