Alarm - Fob does not work and cannot reprogramme as alarm is activated

spe3dy

Reaction score
I recently changed the batteries in my 2001 Audi S3 key fob and now it does not work. I have attempted the re programme procedure using several different methods and still no success.

I only have one remote key fob and 2 non remote keys (all start the car and open the doors). As the methods to re programme involve two keys (1 in ignition and 1 in door) i always set the alarm off as when i manually unlock the drivers door it sets it off this invariably means i cannot reprogramme the key.

I unplugged the alarm (which is on the nearside of the boot) and this deactivated the alarm. All fuses were fine apart from the fuse for the heated door locks, which had blown. When i replaced this fuse i found the door lock to get very very hot. In fact too hot to touch. I removed this fuse and replaced it with the blown one as a temp measure.

My friend used his snap on diagnostics to find several errors, all related to the alarm and key programming.

Once we reset all errors and plugged the alarm back in my only way of opening the car is to manually open via key and lock. This only opens the drivers door. I can also open the boot but, if i lock the boot it arms the alarm and i have to repeat the whole procedure again.

Now, the central locking works via the drivers door switch and if i manually open and lock the boot. The key fob has been tested and does transmit but will not programme.

I'm now at the stage of wanting to remove the drivers door card and have a look to see what switches/sensors are by the drivers door lock. I'm of the understanding that there is a switch here that may be faulty which is stopping me from programming the key?

Any help would be appreciated

2 keys needed??

take your keyfob and stick it......lol.......into the door and twist it to unlock and hold it in that position and then press and hold the unlock button on the fob -- thats it

It worked for me 2 weeks ago

Last edited:
2 keys needed??

take your keyfob and stick it......lol.......into the door and twist it to unlock and hold it in that position and then press and hold the unlock button on the fob -- thats it

It worked for me 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the reply, this does not work...... Audi told me to stick key in lock and press unlock 3 times or lock 3 times.... i have tried so many different methods and its still not working grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The windows based software would not run on my car (we are pretty sure its because we have the wrong disc for the car) so we plugged the snap on in. This reset everything. Once we find the disc for the Windows based software i'm sure it will sort it..... I'm taking it around to his next sat so will have a good play then. Its the key in door lock for now and death threats to the mrs if she locks the boot!

if your setting the alarm off when you turn the key, the ignition isnt on...

Open the car, put one of the non remote keys into the ignition and turn the ignition on so the dash is lit up. The alarm should shut off as soon as you power up the ignition. Leave the ignition on and dash lit up.

Close the door, and Lock the car from outside using the remote key in the drivers door lock

Press the UNLOCK button on the remote within 5 seconds

The car may give you some sort of acknowledgment as the button is pressed (lights flash, horn beep, etc.)

Wait 5 seconds and press the unlock button on the new key to unlock the door.

Your done. Turn the ignition key to OFF and remove the old key.

Test remote.