Test Drove New A3

dbm

Reaction score
Test drove the new A3 2.0 FSI this morning. Nice motor. Very well built and quite spaceous inside. I set the front seat up for me then climbed in the back and there was still enough leg room (though I'm only 5'8"). The dual-zone climate control would be handy as my wife likes the car warmer than I do.

The car was OK to drive, quite happy to pull though obviously not a patch on my S3. It was very stable through the corners, though again it didn't have as much grip as I am used to.

The traction control was effective but unobtrusive. I floored it from a T-junction and the light flashed but the car moved of quickly and with composure.

I wanted to try it to see it the suspension was as big an improvement as it was supposed to be, and I think it is. It seemed as good or better than my 2000MY S3, which bodes well for the more sporty models.

I think my plan is still to get me current car modified then hold on for the RS3 to surface...

Dan

Its not having the best of reviews. I had a quick read of a review in last weeks Autocar (IIRC) and the Mercedes C180 Compressor Coupe beat it!

Its getting the same old treatment, nice car, fantastic inside but dull and boring to drive. When are Audi going to learn!!!!

I will reserve judgement however until I have had a go, which should be quite soon. I have got a A4 3.0 Sport Cab next week which should be nice and a Scooby Sti PPP in August /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I sat in a new A3 this morning at the dealers.

Sadly, its still not won me over. The shape is growing on me slightly, but I just think the exterior details are just too fussy. Compared to the A4, for example.

Interior. Does anyone else think the quality of plastics have taken a step down? I do. The quality of materials and simplicity of design is far better in my S3 (or even any facelifted old model A3) IMO.

Take the glovebox door on the new A3, it feels heavier than one on the old model, but it doesn't have a quality feel about it. Not that I'm saying the old one was pefect. It wasn't. It just feels like a flimsy unit, which will rattle over time. Not as good as the "clunk" you get with the new A4's glovebox.

All the plastics just don't feel as nice IMO.

But driving position feels good, instruments clear and well placed etc.

But overall, I'm not impressed.

AL

Going up to Oxford Audi tomorrow - My paretns are test driving the new A8, (me 2 hopefully) so hopefully they will have a new A3.

Rich

I've looked at lots of cars with a view to possibly changing my S3 (call me mister itchy feet). The only car that I've seen with as good interior build quality is the A2. Nothing else is even close (I've not seen the new A8 mind). That's one of the main deciders to keep my car and mod it rather than change it completely.

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:

Interior. Does anyone else think the quality of plastics have taken a step down? I do. The quality of materials and simplicity of design is far better in my S3 (or even any facelifted old model A3) IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, know what you mean Al. I had a look and and the TT style vents aren't TT vents, so why bother!

I was quite happy stepping back into the S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went to the dealer 'event' last week where you had to wear headphones while a woman on a cd explained all the technical advances of the new car...

I have to say though that like Al said, the interior just doesn't work - there's too many TT bits just thrown in there, for apparently no reason - it just doesn't "flow" with the rest of the dash...

I also don't like the back of the car - it's too... I dunno... smooth - whereas the front of the car is quite agressive, the rear is just plain and boring in my opinion.

Looks like my next car will have to be an S4 instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alex.

[ QUOTE ]
Alex Stanley said:
Looks like my next car will have to be an S4 instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alex.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im considering it or next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went to the Links Audi A3 launch today. It was a great day actually: BBQ, beers, wine, etc. Le Mans PS2 setup (my best time around donington 1:10:469 - not good). Had a good chat with various dealership staff etc.

Anyway, the A3. Its growing on me, slowly. But I'll be waiting for the S3, if they make one.

Noticed on the CD thing, it mentions 2nd generation Haldex. Anyone know more about it?

AL

No offence intended Huggie. So long as you are happy with your new car, thats all that matters.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

AL

Huggie, like Al, no offence meant.

We're all just deluding ourselves that our old model cars are better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I am surprised you think the 2.0D is comparable to the S3 performance wise though. Still, the MPG is a lot better in yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

We'll, I'm impressed with the new A3 (better be as mine turns up in 8 weeks).

My current A3 has a few niggles, mainly to do with front cabin space and rear leg room. The new A3 addresses these issues, it really feels much bigger in the front and gives some decent elbow room.

I do feel that the vents don't look as good as the old ones, but if they keep things the same it wouldn't be a new car.

Kev.

could be worse, the interior could look like the focus. what were they thinking about there? Was it the Picasso School of design? I feel the back lights are too small, bit beady like they are embarressed to be there.