stinky grey smoke after motorway run.

Big Bang Yam

Reaction score
hi all.yet another problem with my s3,,,,had a long motorway journey today back from alton towers,all going fine then traffic stops.sitting there minding my own buisness and then i can smell really bad fumes from a car the type that really get you worried. Didnt think anything of it until a great big cloud of grey smoke starts coming out of my car...but then clears roughly 2 mins later,the idle is a bit lumpy but nothing to disastrous? on an old golf 1.8t i had a cold start problem that made the exaust gases smell really bad and it turned out to be the sensor on the right side of the engine which plumbed into the coolant line. is it worth changing this sensor again? coolant level hasnt moved.the engine/turbo was recon less then 6k miles ago.any ideas

Grey smoke could be one of 2 things... If it's more blue, then it's oil, if it's more white, then it's water. Where was the smoke coming from? Exhaust or engine bay?..

Does the car get to temperature ok? Did it over heat at all while sat in the traffic? Or where the fans on all the time etc? I had an S3 in for a similar problem, it turned out to believe it or not be a problem with the thermostat, and it was worse at idle, slow speeds and so on. Even though designed not to, the thermostat had failed closed so water couldn't travel round, so the engine became to hot!

It hasn't overheated , and it doesn't take ages to get warm either. But I've never really noticed paid much attention to warm up time, the smoke is coming from the exhaust. It doesn't smoke from cold or when I take my foot of the throttle, just after a run at constant speed and coming to a stand still, litteraly smokes a lot the, the rev counter drops a fraction below where it normally sits , goes a bit lumpy then it will clear, I think it's fuel related...another thing I noticed was when I put my foot to floor in 6th gear 70-80 mph I could feel the car hesitating slightly under boost.

Had a proper nose under the bonnet and realise the smaller diameter pipe that connects to the boost cross over pipe and split so it had a massive air leak, sorted that out and removed the the cross over pipe and there was big of oil in there.....do you think turbo is fubar or just something that's occurred because of the split hose?? Took it out for a thrash the hesitating has stopped but when I got home the smoking started..but it could be burning the oil in the boost pipes ??

Turbo seals could be toast mate, causing oil to go into your breathers, weakening them and causing that pipe to split. All could be down to turbo seals

Not liking the idea of that. Hate this car !. Where do lot get your turbos reconditioned? Worth going for hybrid while it's all in bits??

took the tip hose off, no play in the turbine in or out and a little up and down,i have got a bit of oil in the hoses,gonna do a sniff test on the headgasket tomorow and check all the breather assembly...:(

Id say take your throttle body off and give it a clean with some degreaser, i bet its covered in oil from the pcv system, and make sure all the pipes under the mani are in good condition, not soft or split, id think itd be smoking all the time if the seals where nakered on the turbo.

turbo gone, using loads of oil,still running fine , it would appear that the oil is going down the exhaust and while the car is moving along its keeping it cool enough to not smoke then when stationary its getting warm so it smokes! great