Someone please help (pics attached)

s3cya

1st Gear
Reaction score
20120823 150841020120823 15082520120823 1508390just done the pre-facelift to facelift headlight conversion on my s3 but not happy with the fit of the new lights and i think i have trimmed enough but unsure and i cant find the sticky of how to do it can anyone please post pics or a link to the converion step by step guide thanks :D

Last edited:
How have you fixed the headlights in place? Im going tobe doing mine soon and this doesnt inspire much confidence in the fitment lol.

I'd be looking at trying to see where its hitting to stop them going right back...

<tuffty/>

Looks like you havnt taken the wing part back enough mate, it seems to be catching on that area still, you have to cut it back a fair bit to sit flush mate, remove headlight & take pic of the cutout area as is.

you definatly need to take more off the wing to get the light nice and snug.and maybe more off the bumper guide if its touching that still aswel. then loosen all the headlight bolts so the light is movable hold it where it needs to be then nip them up.

Don't go cutting any more off anything untill you come up on Sat, mine sits in pretty well and isn't taken back that far, time for super subtle attention with a file, gently taking back the thick outside edge of the light and the lug which holds the indicator screw, these things make a massive difference and aren't as harsh as just attacking the wing. Also get some paint made up by halfords so you can cover any cut edges and prevent rust this will also make it less obvious to your super critical eye mate!

The headlight, are you mad, not neccessary atall mate, fitted mine years back to my S3 & it was purely wing/area adaption required with no loss on strength at all, wouldnt touch the headlight at all tbh & by the 3rd pic looks like he just hasnt shaved enough back to push headlight into the void enough.

You need some rust protector before paint & some primer, dont just whack paint onto the rough edges & looking at the pic already, seems you've already slipped with the dremel or like already on that wing area, so I'd get a local smart repairer to sort that for you.

No not mad, the lights Dave is fitting are not OEM they are after market A3 lights not S3 facelift ones, the ridge that runs round the back of the light is considerably thicker than oem and the lug that the indicator screw goes into also sticks out much more. I did this conversion for the 3rd time 2 weeks ago and having tried used both oem and non oem lights, I have found this easier and more prudent than going too far back into the wing....you obviously still need to cut all of the plate off that sticks out from the wing but aftermarkets still don't fit as snugly.

He hasnt advised anyone he's fitting aftermarkets & the pics arent that obviously tbh, just says he's fitting facelift headlights to his S3 which for most means oem, still I cant imagine they're that bad fit, if the wings trimmed properly, but he knows now what his options are.