BATTERY TRUBLE

geordiea3

Reaction score
HELP!!!! My battery has just exploded!!!

Just went to start my car, A3 1.8T (97), and the battery decided to blow up. It seems to be mostly contained by the retaining clamp and cover - so no acid over the engine! Managed to remove what was left of the battery and clean the battery bay and surroundings with water.

My question is. Will it be a simple matter of just changing the battery, or has it knocked my immobilizer, locking, ECU out etc....??? I only ask as, like everyone, I don't really want to part with any money to the stealers!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Mike. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The only thing I can think it would have knocked out is your stereo code and reset your DIS.

Apart from that, I think all should be ok.

Kev.

I might be wrong, but that's all that happened when I lost the battery on my A4. On mine (DBW) the throttle body had to be reset which the car does by itself, but as yours is a 97 I assume it's not DBW and therefore no need to worry about it.

Kev.

ouch. I'd make sure the area is TOTALLY clean, the acid is a ******. When you say exploded do you mean the plastic has actually cracked? If it was just leaking I'd change the battery and check the charge with a multimeter to make sure the alternator isnt overcharging. I wouldnt think it would have damaged anything as the fuses would go 1st.

Yeah, went bang alright! Plastic on both sides blow off with the top section cracked over its entire length - never seen our lass exit the car so fast!!!

owch like khufu says clean clean clean and hope it hasn't eaten any of the paint or any rubber hoses etc

Flush the area with boiling water, then do again with some bicarbonate of soda (alkaline) mixed with water and flush again, then more boiling water. You need to neutralise and rinse that old acid off basically.

anyone know why the battery explodes? Is it just with cheap ones?

It was a genuine AUDI TU3 battery, so not the case of being a cheepie one. It's been really hot down here so if the battery was topped up with water the last few services, could that have done it?

Had my battery replaced by the AA yesterday - strangely enough the stereo didnt lose its code - I guess this is due to the back up battery ? - anyone know for sure ?

The battery was disconnected for at least half hour