A3 1.6se - Versus - Sit on Lawn Mower

LeeW

Reaction score
I've read a few posts on this forum regarding 'S3 versus Porsche Boxster or Megane Sport etc etc' and thought I'd let you know about a run in I had today with a sit on Lawn Mower.

I have an A3 1.6se which gives out a whopping 101 bhp and is un-chipped apart from the usual stone chips on the bonnet and a few MacDonalds chips that my daughter has dropped down the back seat.

This afternoon I was sat at the traffic lights and in the lane to my nearside was what looked like a standard green council operated sit on lawn mower. I was looking cool wearing my Raybans and Bluetooth headset and out of the corner of my eye could see the council guy looking equally cool wearing his yellow hi-vis vest and orange ear defenders. Anyway he was giving it some revs and I knew he wanted a challenge. As the lights changed he floored it and left me standing over the first ten yards and I was lucky to get in front of him before the two lanes narrowed into one.

This genuinely happened!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So next time you see one of these things anywhere near AmD remember it's probably not there to cut the grass!

we get there in the end Lee

e
v
e
n
t
u
a
l
l
y

fellow 1.6 se owner

loose some weight (off of the car!!! lol) before you challenge him again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So long, and thanks for all the fish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

look at the benefits, you have access to a roof!

LeeW you have another career beckoning...

....and I dont think it's racing, more like stand up.

very funny, I'll look out for monster grass cutters anybody had any run ins with road sweepers?

It's bin lorries you need to watch out for, they seem to have massive turbos and reckless drivers.
A few months back they had actually rolled one near here by taking a corner too fast through some traffic lights.

I think the poor 1.6 engine gets a terrible time of it on the site- fair enough its not a beast but my 1.6 A3 serves me well, is smooth, looks great, cheap insurance and above all is really nice to drive and 10.5 0-60 isn't bad ....especially considering i once drove a 1L polo which took 18.6 seconds to hit 60! (LAWNMOVER WOULD HAVE WON!)........and before i get slated for not taking a joke- that is funny!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
It's bin lorries you need to watch out for, they seem to have massive turbos and reckless drivers.
A few months back they had actually rolled one near here by taking a corner too fast through some traffic lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the one that destroyed half of the church yard wall in Esher?

No, but probably the same driver. This was in Hersham.

1.gif
Thats a great story, i'd love an encounter like that it would be hilarious!

did you blip the throttle before pulling off? I find the lower rev range totally gutless I guess due to the 20 valves.

[ QUOTE ]
did you blip the throttle before pulling off? I find the lower rev range totally gutless I guess due to the 20 valves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha there's no way I was going to line up next to a lawn mower revving my engine, in hindsight I should of done! I'll hold my hands up and admit that I didn't exactly try and beat him off the line as I thought if I pull away normally that would be sufficient. Unfortunately I got a short sharp shock and had to put my foot down when I realised the two lanes went into one and I was running out of space.

I was going to invest in an S3 but think I'll keep my eye out for one of these convertable mower beauties instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I was going to invest in an S3 but think I'll keep my eye out for one of these convertable mower beauties instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif
Definately. Can you get them with Bose?!

[ QUOTE ]
lawn1.jpg

How about this one, with optional driver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah mate thats the A2 of the range whereas the one in question was more like a chipped S3 but even faster! Thats the very same driver though, I reckon he's The Stig off Top Gear.