Really Knocking noise..... Grrrrrr

jitvv

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Annoying Knocking noise!! I hate any knocks or rattles on my car, even if it is a high miler I don’t believe there should be any funny rattles or knocks it’s totally my OCD kicking in, my last car Bmw 330d M Sport 180k drove like new, no knocks rattles nothing as I sorted it all out... Sorry for waffling back on subject it’s a weird knocking noise coming from the NSF that only really seems very loud when turning left, I’m thinking maybe CV joint, but then it’s also there not as bad when going over uneven ground ie not as loud. Had a garage take a look at the bushes and suspension, and they can’t find any play in anything, had a MOT a few weeks ago and no advisers or faults found then either.

Have tried the search function on here, Which is awesome btw! But can’t find anything familiar, come on guys what do you recommend I try?

Thanks

I feel your pain! I'm currently battling with my Audi stealer who keep telling me that a knock when braking in reverse is normal!

This is a really common type of thread on here, and to be honest I think that the answers are always the same! Not knocking you for starting the thread, but just saying it is really difficult to suggest anything different, especially when none of us can hear it!

If the garage knew what they were doing, and have really checked all bushes/joints for play, then there are limited other causes.

In my near 10 years of owning various cars based on the Golf IV/8L platform, rattles and knocks over uneven ground have always been down to either ARB bushes, ARB itself (collars perished), top mounts and drop links.

So, I'd always start with looking at those, and changing them even if they look ok if they're old. Next I'd look at ball joints, track rod ends and lower wishbones. Jack the car up so the wheel is hanging low and see if you can see splits in the wishbone bushes.

If that all checks out, have a look to ensure the lower subframe bolts are tight, and the steering rack ones too.

Check that the springs aren't broken, they can make rattles and grinds/scrapes if they are.

After that, it does get difficult. CV joints can wear and knock, but they always make a bit of noise when examined, so difficult to say if it's those without hearing the noise you are, plus you can't really have a proper look without removing the boot.

Lastly, it could be a broken damper, but again difficult to diagnose without swapping out.

Thats about all I can think of, but don't discount all the above or similar on the rear suspension too, sounds have an amazing way of travelling through the chassis sometimes!

Thanks guys for your replies,

Tooks,

Thanks mate for your input, i will get new ARB Bushes, collars, and Drop links as they are fairly cheap and easy to change.

I know your not knocking me, but i always find lots of threads via the search function, but know one seems to put what resolved the problem!!

Thanks again, I will report back :cool:

I feel your pain! I'm currently battling with my Audi stealer who keep telling me that a knock when braking in reverse is normal!

Mate hope you get yours sorted. clonks are so annoying...

jitvv, I just came on here to search for a very similar post, I'm battling some knocks at the moment and like you I think I have OCD when it comes to any funny noises in a car! The knocks are doing my head in. I may do some of the above as Tooks has recommended.

I had the same issue since owning my a3, was certain it wasn't the anti roll bar bushes as they looked ok. Changed them weekend just gone and my knock is no more. Found a few other things that need doing whilst I was underneath it, but that's for another time :p

Changing the ARB bushes a easy job on a S3? I have just ordered the bits from TPS.

After seeing the thread yesterday I ordered a set of drop links and ARB bushes for my A3, at £18 delivered from Eurocarparts I can't complain and they turned up this morning. If it's like the A3, I'm thinking my A3 Quattro will be similar then it's a straight forward job, get under the car, 2 bolts a piece and swap them out. I'm hoping it cures my knocks up front or it's back to the drawing board for me.

same thing with me i get that knock when braking check that the pads are sitting correctly in the caliper i.e. not loose as i have the same ****** problem when i reverse or sometimes when moving at 10mph or so...such annoyance... but i have tarox 6 pots on mine

I had everything changed on my suspension apart from the drop links, and I developed a rattle/clunk about a month ago, I picked up a set of drop links yesterday for fitting tomorrow so will report back.

I had everything changed on my suspension apart from the drop links, and I developed a rattle/clunk about a month ago, I picked up a set of drop links yesterday for fitting tomorrow so will report back.

Cheers mate, feedback would be good.

After seeing the thread yesterday I ordered a set of drop links and ARB bushes for my A3, at £18 delivered from Eurocarparts I can't complain and they turned up this morning. If it's like the A3, I'm thinking my A3 Quattro will be similar then it's a straight forward job, get under the car, 2 bolts a piece and swap them out. I'm hoping it cures my knocks up front or it's back to the drawing board for me.

Let us know how you get on Geoff. hope it sorts it :)

Changing the ARB bushes a easy job on a S3? I have just ordered the bits from TPS.

It's actually a bit of a fiddle, but not too bad.

You need to undo the drop links anyway so that the ARB can rotate, then a socket on the arb bracket bolt to get the bracket off and slide the new ones in. They can be a bit of a pain to squeeze in as they will be a bit bigger than the old ones. The drivers side is a piece of cake, on my S3 (don't know if its the same on them all) the passenger bracket is also a bracket for a hose of some sort and there is another bolt that needs to be undone before you can get the new bush in, and I needed 3 extensions on my socket set to get at the bolt from the engine compartment. You can get a spanner on it, but there is very little room, but maybe a ratchet spanner may do the job better.

Anyway, it's harder to describe than do, you'll see what I mean if yours is the same, but a bit of patience will see you sorted.

I had a 'Dominic the Donkey' type noise on mine over compressions which I was convinced was the rear swing arm bushes, but it turned out it was the ARB bushes. I'd never have thought they could make that much noise!

It's actually a bit of a fiddle, but not too bad.

You need to undo the drop links anyway so that the ARB can rotate, then a socket on the arb bracket bolt to get the bracket off and slide the new ones in. They can be a bit of a pain to squeeze in as they will be a bit bigger than the old ones. The drivers side is a piece of cake, on my S3 (don't know if its the same on them all) the passenger bracket is also a bracket for a hose of some sort and there is another bolt that needs to be undone before you can get the new bush in, and I needed 3 extensions on my socket set to get at the bolt from the engine compartment. You can get a spanner on it, but there is very little room, but maybe a ratchet spanner may do the job better.

Anyway, it's harder to describe than do, you'll see what I mean if yours is the same, but a bit of patience will see you sorted.

I had a 'Dominic the Donkey' type noise on mine over compressions which I was convinced was the rear swing arm bushes, but it turned out it was the ARB bushes. I'd never have thought they could make that much noise!

Tooks, Thank you for your reply that is really helpful.

Hi Guys,

Just a update, ARB Brushes changed and Drop links, and its stilling clunking!!

Had it back on the ramp very strange we have found the problem! with the wheels straight the Ball joints are fine, but turn to the right and there is massive play! you can see the movement easily. very strange....

Anyway next question geniune or GSF??

Cheers

Lemforder from ECP, or GSF if they do them?

Glad you seem to have found the problem anyway! :)

Happy to report no more knocking noises.

Went for OE ones as they are only £35 inc Vat from TPS.

Thanks all for your input into this :)

Waist your ball joint that needed replacing? I've got a clonking noise, pulling left etc, I have play in the passenger side ball joint, I've just order new arb bushes, have got new wishbone, ball joints and drop links waiting to go on

Waist your ball joint that needed replacing? I've got a clonking noise, pulling left etc, I have play in the passenger side ball joint, I've just order new arb bushes, have got new wishbone, ball joints and drop links waiting to go on

Mine was just the Ball joint, but hey ARB and droplinks won't need doing now for a while too. once you have all that changed yours will be like new.

I've finally got rid of my knocking noise today, I've changed both wishbone, both ball joints, both drop links and both track rod ends. Everything feels a lot tighter now, just need to get the tracking done now.