replacement cone filter(NOT jETEX)

Paradox1

Reaction score
Driving home today and I noticed my dv dump was pretty quiet.hot home only to find the neck of the jetex had split.not even 6 months! 60quid for 3 mnths use.anyone know of another filter I can replace it with?

Reesey has a decent one thats not a JR on his new build give him a pm

Chris.

Driving home today and I noticed my dv dump was pretty quiet.hot home only to find the neck of the jetex had split.not even 6 months! 60quid for 3 mnths use.anyone know of another filter I can replace it with?

mine has done the same. its ****e isnt it! Let me know what you go for!

Proper takes the P.I might just go for a huge k&n cone instead.I've seen one on eBay from jjc or jjs for 30quid which looks alright.have a look mate and let me know what you think

I'm sure I read some where thy k&n can be to oily for our maf's. Also ready that the filtration isn't as good.

Try to find the air filter tests thread there was a filter that is better than the jetex ones.

I think there were call power tech or something like that.

Also apex cones are supposed to be good.

*edit*

http://www.powertecfilters.co.uk/

I think that's them, can't quite tell as I'm on my phone.

I've got the Apexi filter teamed up with a B5 TIP.

It's not as large as some of it's competitors but does as good a job as any IMO and sounds nice.

DSC03714.jpg

if that is its age jetex will warranty it. The filters have changed to better design recently to fix this. Thicker neck and wider. Yours should be covered by warranty

As Bill said, get in touch with Jetex, they are a good bunch there and im sure they will get it sorted for you if its only within 6 months.

Mines gone as well. Will take your advice bill.

Would this cause a boost leak?

JD09:1657712 said:
Mines gone as well. Will take your advice bill.

Would this cause a boost leak?

Well the air isn't going directly into the turbo inlet pipe so air is escaping which will limit powe I'd imagine.

Thanks bill, ill give them a shout

I wouldn't be too concerned over 'chunks' of filter getting to the turbo... the ones I have seen are cleanish splits and the MAF sensor has a fine mesh to provide laminar flow to the sensor so this would prevent any (if any) particles of size getting to the turbo...

<tuffty/>

No Boost leak, its before the turbo.... unfiltered air and possibly bits of rubber flying in from the broken neck...

Dave,... there are not chunks of rubber, its a split, thats all.

They have split on the necks on occasion, split.. not chunks falling out, simple split, and if less than 12months hold covered by warranty - simples

before folks get all agitated about something irritating more than not "end of the world" as usual!

As I have said, Jetex have a new version which is wider at the neck and thicker and also wider hose clamp, and this is the current product being shipped out, replacing the FR08001

New one is FR-08012

Spot on Dave,that's what I was worried about
its a split, not chunks falling out.
speak to neal @ jetex, have your original purchase invoice to confirm its age, and it will be replaced with the updated version FR-08012

no drama's

hope this is of help

I did say possibly.... which is true....Anyway unfiltered air is bad enough....;)

I think the overtightening of the jubilee causes the majority of the splits, but if they have revised them all is good...

Having seen Jay fitting his Jetex at the weekend, I am amazed at how weak the neck and surrounding rubber is. You'd expect that the revision would have to be a major upgrade.

Having seen Jay fitting his Jetex at the weekend, I am amazed at how weak the neck and surrounding rubber is. You'd expect that the revision would have to be a major upgrade.

I agree... Just seeing if i still got the receipt in case the neck splits later down the line!

I did say possibly.... which is true....Anyway unfiltered air is bad enough....;)

I think the overtightening of the jubilee causes the majority of the splits, but if they have revised them all is good...

fitment by some customers will not doubt be the cause of some splits (not that you can win such an arguement with customers), unsupported TIPs, lots of weight all hanging onto the filter I have also seen as well as over tightening the hose clip (previously thin and could easily bite into the rubber neck)
For ease of fitment I use a little bit of washing up liquid on the neck so I dont have to exert much force onto the filter itself.. works for me.

some of them just split... and as said are covered by warranty with the new thicker wider versions. (JR/Jetex are aware of this, hence the updated version)

There is BMC Twin Cones I also use along side JR's, twin cones but bright red in colour which is'nt to everyones taste

see below:
twin cone is the middle one, JR on the right
bmc-open-cones.jpg

Thanks Bill. Helpful as ever! I'll get in touch, although it was supplied by Badger5 so might have to be extra nice on the phone!

Beware of fake apexi filters

True there is a lot of fakes out there, some blatantly obvious on eBay! I found a good guide on SCN re spotting the differences between the real deal and fake ones floating about! I didn't want to make the mistake of buying a cheap copy so found out that the only official stockist in the uk is Amber Performance.

No chance of any splits either as it come with a metal adaptor which I fitted to a Samco 80mm coupler to attach it to the MAF, Bill's heat shield also helps to keep everything rigid!

Just spoken to Alan @ Jetex. True gent, no quibbles and talked me through it.

What's the difference between the Jetex filter and the JR filter or are they the same thing.

Reactions: bigmoylan
Will the twin cone flow better? i see its made by BMC .....

I see no difference in flows between the twin cone bmc vs JR

BMC open cones seem, but their bright red colour is a put off for some folks.

ref BMC, I suspect you are angling over BMC being crap.... but thats the CDA not these in case you thought this (or anyone else)

Thanks Bill. Helpful as ever! I'll get in touch, although it was supplied by Badger5 so might have to be extra nice on the phone!

lol... Jetex and I speak often... they are aware of the issue, and are dealing with it responsibly.
JR the manufacturer (France) make it, Jetex sell it.. so I feel sorry they are stuck between failing products from manufacturer and customers. JR France should pick up the tab, so failures would need to be returned to them for warranty to be honourer from JR to Jetex.

lol... Jetex and I speak often... they are aware of the issue, and are dealing with it responsibly.
JR the manufacturer (France) make it, Jetex sell it.. so I feel sorry they are stuck between failing products from manufacturer and customers. JR France should pick up the tab, so failures would need to be returned to them for warranty to be honourer from JR to Jetex.

The immediate reply when I mentioned you'd supplied it for the TIP and was Neil around, was "Yeah, I know Bill, I can handle this, give me your address". No issue replacement - now that is (rare) service!

they are good guys.. seriously.. been around a long time, and have a good rep/name.
props to Jetex for supporting the product.

Jetex are a very good company to deal with, I have always had their exhausts and filters, my cousin knows them really well (Alan??) and they have always looked after him and the bits I need from there.

Just round the corner from where I work too, so thats always a bonus.

Got my replacement filter today after raising the issue with them yesterday!

Good work jetex. Good service!

Replacement arrived today from Jetex. Would have been yesterday but missed the postman! Exceptional service. I'll get some pics up when I swap them over to show the difference.

Pictures as promised;

The failed part;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345885988412016

Note where the jubilee clip as eaten into the neck... Pretty sure this points to an over tightening. Thanks AMD...

The side by side comparison, new thicker neck on the right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345886008955990

And fitted :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345886024003370

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345886033714140

Mine's just discoloured from age, but otherwise alright. I was careful doing the jubilee up, making sure I didn't over tighten it. Why do K&N's need oiling and Jetex's not? They're both cotton filters? I've always liked the K&N Group A cossie filters with the big bellmouth inlet.