Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    4th Gear

Status

S3 outer cv boot?

Hi

Mine has a split form and is losing grease. To replace the boot do I need to remove the whole drive shaft from the car? Or can I remove the hub and work on it supported in situ?

If it's a small split, do I need to completely clean the old grease out and re-grease? or is it always best to do this incase of any contamination?

Oh and which is the correct sealey or laser tool to replace the CV boot clips?

Thanks, Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Easier to remove the shaft tbh... I normally clean as much of the old grease out as poss... I have even taken the joint apart before to clean but not recommended if you are unsure as it can be a bugger to put back together..

there is a thread in the stickies covering shaft removal and replacing the inboard gaitor but the outer isn't much different... just have to tap it off straight so the joint stays in one piece

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks Tufty.

I've read that thread several times through - thought I might get referred back to it

Looks like a straight forward, albeit messy, job.

Is it best to use new bolts to secure the shaft to the transmission/gearbox?

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    They are stretch bolts IIRC so its recommended... I didn't change mine at the time but that was my decision...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks again.

I'll try to take some pics while I'm doing it to add to the CV boot knowledge base.

Liam

4th Gear

Status
    Grrrr.

Just rereading the guides and some elsa stuff off the internet before I get stuck in with the job, i need a torque wrench capable of 240nM.

Mine only goes up to 200

Any one near Milton Keynes got a bigger torque wrench I could borrow for beer?
    Last edited by vfr800; 8th September 2012 at 11:54.

3rd Gear

Status
    Got a 300Nm in Camberley...but that isn't exactly near

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Is it 240Nm for the shaft? If so, I wouldn't remove it. I just took the hub off to replace the outer CV boot I'd have thought taking the shaft out is making more work than necessary.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelofdoom View Post
    Got a 300Nm in Camberley...but that isn't exactly near
    Thanks, bit too far, Halfords have a pro one for about £80, I'm thinking about getting that. The cheapest Teng torque wrench which covers this is about £103 + delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron TDIQ View Post
    Is it 240Nm for the shaft? If so, I wouldn't remove it. I just took the hub off to replace the outer CV boot I'd have thought taking the shaft out is making more work than necessary.
    Yes. Oh that's an idea, would save the palava/sequence of tightening and undoing the big nut. But I want to degrease and grease it properly ... is that possible while on the hub without nadgering anything else?

Liam

4th Gear

Status
    Changed mine with something similar to this
    AUDI S3 QUATTRO DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT OUTER BOOTKIT CV BOOT KIT GAITER STRETCH NEW | eBay
    i didnt take of the drive shaft.
    just undid the hub, track rod and pulled away the hub, used the cone to slip the boot on.
    quite an easy job and passed mot.

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    Yes. Oh that's an idea, would save the palava/sequence of tightening and undoing the big nut. But I want to degrease and grease it properly ... is that possible while on the hub without nadgering anything else?
    Yep you can as you got to get the boot over the joint, so yes you can clean it and apply new grease to the joint in situ.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

4th Gear

Status
    Took 5.5 hours to do the CVJ boot. Reason it took so long is down the the previous owner employing f*cktards to do work on the car.

Is the end of my drive shaft supposed to look like this?

It's mushroomed/peened over so putting the bolt in and out is difficult. I was an epic mission (for me) to remove and put it back into the hub. How the hell can it be this damaged?

Also is the circlip suppose to look like this when the outer CVJ and shaft are split?

It's not quite symmetrical I think the circlip was bent when it was put back on. I had to use a bearing puller to separate the shaft and CVJ.

There were several points where I wished I'd paid the garage to do this but it's done now.

Liam

4th Gear

Status
    Any one?