S3 outer cv boot?

vfr800

Reaction score
Hi

Mine has a split form and is losing grease. To replace the boot do I need to remove the whole drive shaft from the car? Or can I remove the hub and work on it supported in situ?

If it's a small split, do I need to completely clean the old grease out and re-grease? or is it always best to do this incase of any contamination?

Oh and which is the correct sealey or laser tool to replace the CV boot clips?

Thanks, Liam

Easier to remove the shaft tbh... I normally clean as much of the old grease out as poss... I have even taken the joint apart before to clean but not recommended if you are unsure as it can be a ****** to put back together..

there is a thread in the stickies covering shaft removal and replacing the inboard gaitor but the outer isn't much different... just have to tap it off straight so the joint stays in one piece

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tufty.

I've read that thread several times through - thought I might get referred back to it ;)

Looks like a straight forward, albeit messy, job.

Is it best to use new bolts to secure the shaft to the transmission/gearbox?

Liam

They are stretch bolts IIRC so its recommended... I didn't change mine at the time but that was my decision... :)

<tuffty/>

Thanks again.

I'll try to take some pics while I'm doing it to add to the CV boot knowledge base.

Liam

Grrrr.

Just rereading the guides and some elsa stuff off the internet before I get stuck in with the job, i need a torque wrench capable of 240nM.

Mine only goes up to 200 :sob:

Any one near Milton Keynes got a bigger torque wrench I could borrow for beer?

Last edited:
Is it 240Nm for the shaft? If so, I wouldn't remove it. I just took the hub off to replace the outer CV boot I'd have thought taking the shaft out is making more work than necessary.

Got a 300Nm in Camberley...but that isn't exactly near :)

Thanks, bit too far, Halfords have a pro one for about £80, I'm thinking about getting that. The cheapest Teng torque wrench which covers this is about £103 + delivery.

Is it 240Nm for the shaft? If so, I wouldn't remove it. I just took the hub off to replace the outer CV boot I'd have thought taking the shaft out is making more work than necessary.

Yes. Oh that's an idea, would save the palava/sequence of tightening and undoing the big nut. But I want to degrease and grease it properly ... is that possible while on the hub without nadgering anything else?

Liam

Yes. Oh that's an idea, would save the palava/sequence of tightening and undoing the big nut. But I want to degrease and grease it properly ... is that possible while on the hub without nadgering anything else?
Yep you can as you got to get the boot over the joint, so yes you can clean it and apply new grease to the joint in situ.

Took 5.5 hours to do the CVJ boot. Reason it took so long is down the the previous owner employing f*cktards to do work on the car.

Is the end of my drive shaft supposed to look like this?

It's mushroomed/peened over so putting the bolt in and out is difficult. I was an epic mission (for me) to remove and put it back into the hub. How the hell can it be this damaged?

8039059175_c17081347c_b.jpg

Also is the circlip suppose to look like this when the outer CVJ and shaft are split?

8039060682_640d2c729e_b.jpg

It's not quite symmetrical I think the circlip was bent when it was put back on. I had to use a bearing puller to separate the shaft and CVJ.

There were several points where I wished I'd paid the garage to do this but it's done now.

Liam