A few questions...

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

Been to AmD to sort the 1000 mile oil change and inspection today, a few problems cropped up that I want to get sorted to make my car perfect... help please chaps!

good news is I can now accelerate how the car wants to.

near side front wheel bearing starting to fail - has anyone changed this themself on an S3 / had one fail, as I'm still not convinced they've identified the right problem.

near side rear break flexi hose has the start of a pressure bubble - has anyone fitted stainless braided hoses to an S3 and know where to get them? rich?

rear upper rose joints creaking, already have had the arb and bushes changed and it's still creaking (no way near as bad) has anyone had this changed before to solve creaking?

The last thing to make my car perfect is sort the stone chips on the front bumper, so I want to find a personally recommended body shop within 1hour ish of reading to get the bumper taken off and resprayed properly and sort the other stone chips? anyone?

cheers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just on the limit of 1 hour from Reading - Testwood Bodyshop in Southampton are excellent. They are the approved Audi bodyshop in the area. I had my bonnet resprayed there and it was perfect (£170) and also a scrape on my wifes A3TS rear quarter (£230).
They will need the car overnight though (I'd imagine)
Tel: 02380-663333

£170 to spray a bonnet ! B******s to that.
I get creaking from the back sometimes too. Haven't changed the bushes yet though.

Chris.

Done a few front bearings on golfs and as with pretty much all new VAG cars the bearing needs to be hydraulically pressed out. It can take about a ton of force to get it out.

You can remove the hub yourself and then take it to a garage with a press. Most places have them and will charge you a drink to press a new bearing in.

Some Audi dealers have a portable hydraulic ram that can remove and refit the bearing with the hub still on the car.

So why is it that you think it isn't the bearing out of interest?

Not fitted Braided hose to an S3 but had a set on a MK2 golf once. Did help to inprove pedal feel.
Goodridge do a kit. See here --> http://www.goodridge.net/appguides/UkCAR.pdf
When I got mine I bought them from http://www.candrenterprises.co.uk

Can't comment on the upper connecting link as I don't have these on my car.

Thanks for the info HTC.

Will be getting the bearing done then, not really interested in performance gains on the break hoses, just seems daft to put the OEM ones back on.

I am not sure what it is, Audi said the loose feeling in the steering when you turn left is the lower ball joint on the suspension, AmD changed that and did the 4 wheel allignment so it's not that, I assumed it would have been the track rod as the other one was replaced about 10,000 miles ago but both audi and AmD say it's fine, so I guess it probably is the Wheel bearing just going to make sure before I get that done too.

I'll be going to see Fontain in the next week to see what there service dept. is like and let everyone know how I get on.

Anyone else have any info, specifically regarding break hoses for an S3 or the creaking joints?

Hi mate, try "Modern paint" at Aldermaston, I have used them loads for my bike stuff. Eric the guy that owns it is a top bloke and a perfectionist. sorry but i cant find the number.

On the respray, Headley Bodyshop on the A339 between Basingstoke and Newbury; number is 01635 268405. They sorted my rear bumper when I got rear ended and did a cracking job on it. Ivan or Fraser should be able to sort you out.