Fault code again 16725 cam sensor

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
Rebuilt the engine after the piston ring problem and added cams to the rebuild

I've been having problems with timing it back up first i was getting 17748 Camshaft/Crankshaft Position Sensors (B2) - Out of Sequence A, but now thats gone i have the 16725 cam position sensor

Am i thinking that the timing between the two cams are out thous throwing up this code??

My engine is a really pain time up as i have no marks on the flywheel ( billet steel one ) Its very hard to see the marks on the fluidamper pulley, No marks on the cam pulley as its a Cat cams one

press on gears on your cams? the keyway visible.. tdc #1 is probably best physical tdc and make your own mark. I do this as I like to know where I am starting from on my markings, not having much faith in other markings.. to vague etc

tdc#1, cam cover off ( a pia no doubt on cts kit) and see where the keyways are on the cam gears relative to the small arrows on the cam caps..

Yes press on gears, keyway not that visible, from the ends yes but not so much from above

Cam cover is easy to get off now as it has been modified to clear the waste gate

I always make a mark on the crank sprocket, and on the oil pump casing behind it that shows TDC (usually pointing streight down at TDC). The marks on the big crank pulley are useless as the pulley can move a good few degrees in either direction on its bolts.

As above there should be a square on each cam which lines up with the arrows on the rear cap cap.

intakefy.jpg

Depending on how the tensioner feels they dont always line up 100% on the intake side, but the exhaust should be bob on, and there should be 16 chain rollers between the marks.

Yes press on gears, keyway not that visible, from the ends yes but not so much from above

Cam cover is easy to get off now as it has been modified to clear the waste gate

got any pictures of what you see?
physical TDC #1 and a picture of the cam sprockets?

Rebuilt the engine after the piston ring problem and added cams to the rebuild

I've been having problems with timing it back up first i was getting 17748 Camshaft/Crankshaft Position Sensors (B2) - Out of Sequence A, but now thats gone i have the 16725 cam position sensor

Am i thinking that the timing between the two cams are out thous throwing up this code??

My engine is a really pain time up as i have no marks on the flywheel ( billet steel one ) Its very hard to see the marks on the fluidamper pulley, No marks on the cam pulley as its a Cat cams one

16725 = [h=2]16725/P0341/000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
  • Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
  • Timing misaligned
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
  • Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
  • Check Timing
Category:

This would seem to be more a sensor/wiring related fault code than its reporting its in the wrong positions, as thats usually setpoint not reached over advanced or over retarded...

your 1st fault code was top to bottom error.. crank to cams wrong but if thats now gone, presuming you moved the belt a tooth or so on the cam gear, then the remaining one might be the cam sensors not working, or wiring to it... also check for the pin not being bent over in the cam sensor.. (seen that before)

[h=2]16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected[/h][h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Air Intake System leaking
  • Fuel Supply faulty
  • Injector(s) faulty
  • Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty
  • Ignition Coil(s) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open
  • Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Misfire Recognition
  • Check Air Intake System
  • Check Fuel Supply
  • Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing
  • Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s)
  • Check Ignition Coil(s)
  • Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
  • Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • This DTC indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

[h=2]16685/P0301/000769 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected[/h][h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel injectors
  • Fuel pressure
  • Running out of fuel
  • EVAP canister purge valve
  • Evaporative emission system
  • Low compression
  • Base engine problems
  • Controle Module damaged
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.