sqs haldex controller

Designed for people running lots of power on non std ECU

Pointless on a fairly std car... particularly on a road car as to be any use you will be in permanent AWD and that will give you the low speed dragging issues that people experience with dodgy pumps etc..

I would waste your money on something else... :)

<tuffty/>

Have a read of this... I have considered the competition unit HPA do which is a differnt unit to the blue controller most people have used...
The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Haldex Gen 1 Competition controller by HPA?

The competition unit keeps the haldex lock under bracking too so it acts more like a torsion set up than the blue that releases haldex lock as you lift off or brake..

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty I have been looking at the hpa haldex controller I just can't really afford the £650 would the sqs item not do the samething just a bit more crudely all I'm after full time 4wd if possible

It would make the car 4WD all the time but you dash would light up like a christmas tree. As the abs and traction control are all inter wired.

The SQS is not a controller suitable for a fairly std road car IMO... if building a 500hp drag monster then maybe... I have nearly 400hp and 300ftlbs of torque and still on a std controller... I have not had a issue where the setup has been an issue... thats not to say it would not be improved by a blue or even the HPA controller but in terms of bang for buck its not high on the todo list at the moment...

I prefer the idea of the HPA controller as this will bring it as close to torsion as it can be while still making all the elctronics happy with no flashing lights and a slew of fault codes...

<tuffty/>

It would make the car 4WD all the time but you dash would light up like a christmas tree. As the abs and traction control are all inter wired.

As close to full to,e 4wd is what I want . I think I might have to go for the hpa one tho

The SQS is not a controller suitable for a fairly std road car IMO... if building a 500hp drag monster then maybe... I have nearly 400hp and 300ftlbs of torque and still on a std controller... I have not had a issue where the setup has been an issue... thats not to say it would not be improved by a blue or even the HPA controller but in terms of bang for buck its not high on the todo list at the moment...

I prefer the idea of the HPA controller as this will bring it as close to torsion as it can be while still making all the elctronics happy with no flashing lights and a slew of fault codes...

<tuffty/>

thanks Tuffty I want to sort the 4wd before I go for big power as its too front wheel drive at the mo

The HPA is commonly known as the "Orange". They often pop up for sale on VWVortex (along with the Blues).

I have a blue but couldn't tell you a back to back as I fitted it soon after buying the car.

The HPA is commonly known as the "Orange". They often pop up for sale on VWVortex (along with the Blues).

I have a blue but couldn't tell you a back to back as I fitted it soon after buying the car.

Is that vw vortex.com? I'll have to join that then thanks Sam

Yep that's the one. There's usually plenty of tasty bits on there (along with some ****e). I've got quite a few bits cheap from there. Recently some Ground Control top mounts for a third of the new price. $50 later for new rose joints and they're good as new.

Yep that's the one. There's usually plenty of tasty bits on there (along with some ****e). I've got quite a few bits cheap from there. Recently some Ground Control top mounts for a third of the new price. $50 later for new rose joints and they're good as new.

Thanks I've joined it. Do you know what haldex controllers fit the 8l is the just the Mk1 TT, mk4 R32 and mk4 4 motions?

As close to full to,e 4wd is what I want . I think I might have to go for the hpa one tho

thanks Tuffty I want to sort the 4wd before I go for big power as its too front wheel drive at the mo

What do you call big power?

<tuffty/>

Too small for big power... low 300's tops and even then there is pressure drop... been there and got the t-shirt bud...

<tuffty/>

Oh right might have to have a re think then. Can you not just run larger side piping to and from the cooler ?

Oh right might have to have a re think then. Can you not just run larger side piping to and from the cooler ?

Yeah but the cooler is small and the inlet are 51mm... trust me I have been there... welly cooler or AH Fabs v2 for big turbo power...

<tuffty/>

Yeah but the cooler is small and the inlet are 51mm... trust me I have been there... welly cooler or AH Fabs v2 for big turbo power...

<tuffty/>
Ah right thanks are they good enough for a hybrid then?

Not really mate, they're not much use for anything beyond a st2 ko4. I'd even question that really. standard S3 pipework is 60mm, so 51mm pipes on an 'uprated' part are just a joke.

Not really mate, they're not much use for anything beyond a st2 ko4. I'd even question that really. standard S3 pipework is 60mm, so 51mm pipes on an 'uprated' part are just a joke.

Could you get round this by using wmi?

Could you get round this by using wmi?

You are missing the point... it's not it's ability to cool it's the ability to flow thats the issue... wmi will make no difference... the forge fmic is no use for big power... there is a massive thread on suitable fmic's in the stickies and I have fully documented issues I had with small fmic's in my build thread...

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Here is a plot of my early setup using a small intercooler.... the graph to look at is the boost (bottom right)... you can see the orange boost line spike (measured at the turbo) and the red line is manifold pressure... a decent FMIC will have the turbo pressure line follow the manifold one but of course be a little higher as there will always be a degree of pressure drop across the systems...
tuffty-p_loss-intercooler-chk-1.jpg

Not got a print out of an 'after' but fitting the AH v2 sorted this problem

<tuffty/>

Here is a plot of my early setup using a small intercooler.... the graph to look at is the boost (bottom right)... you can see the orange boost line spike (measured at the turbo) and the red line is manifold pressure... a decent FMIC will have the turbo pressure line follow the manifold one but of course be a little higher as there will always be a degree of pressure drop across the systems...
tuffty-p_loss-intercooler-chk-1.jpg

Not got a print out of an 'after' but fitting the AH v2 sorted this problem

<tuffty/>

Thanks I remember reading this now it wasn't going to be a problem as I was wanting to stay sub 300 or hybrid at the most, it's only the last few weeks I've thought of going big turbo

Forge FMIC is fine for stage1/2 imo... its most certianly an imporvement of the SMICs... the AH v1 is similar to the Forge and performs in the same sorta way... but 51mm inlets when the rest of the pipework is 60mm is always a compromise and back when Forge was the only option then it was what it was...

It will sell easily enough when you are ready to go to the next level...

<tuffty/>