B5 TIP Fitted - with pics

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Well, today I had a day off work and finally got round to fitting my B5 TIP, which I bought unused from Fran-S3 ages ago! It's a v1 TIP, so it's the multi-piece version. I took some pictures of the installation in case it helps anyone else. The v2/v3 installation will be simpler because of the 1-piece construction of the TIP.

Engine bay prior to installation, with the OEM TIP but with my Saikou Michi catch can visible just under the strut brace:

DSC_0244.jpg

First, I smoothed off the internal edges of the aluminium section of the TIP where the various pipes join the main body, more to satisfy my OCD tendencies than anything else.

Next I removed the engine cover, battery cover, and airbox. I also removed the standard air duct to the airbox, which is fed from the off-side front wheel arch. This is just held on with 1 nut in the engine bay:

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

Then I un-plumbed the various connections into the original TIP. Luckily I had already replaced most of the 1-use Audi hose clips with Jubilee versions, so this was relatively straightforward and painless. Finally, I removed undid the jubilee clip holding the original TIP to the turbo itself, and removed the TIP, leaving this:

DSC_0249.jpg

Original TIP was actually in perfect condition:

DSC_0251.jpg

Turbo hiding away at the back of the engine:

DSC_0250.jpg

Quick check of the turbo and all looks healthy, vanes spin nice & free:

DSC_0253.jpg

Next for the installation of the aluminium adapter. Mine is the original version with 2 2mm grub screws. First, I applied a bead of Loctite 5920 Premium Silicone Copper Gasket Sealant (rated to 350 deg C, available from Halfrauds for a fiver) around the inside of the adapter, and also into each of the grub screw threads to ensure an air-tight seal once installed. You only need a thin bead; in the picture below I've used a bit too much, but I wanted to ensure a good seal:

DSC_0257.jpg

Next, with the adapter installed onto the turbo (it's a snug fit, so wiggle/twist it to get it on, DON'T force it), I wiped the excess sealant away, being very careful not to get any on the turbo vanes:

DSC_0258.jpg

With the grub screws at the 2 and 4 o'clock positions, I nipped them up and attached the first part of the TIP onto the adapter. I positioned the head of the jubilee clip towards the rear of the engine bay for easiest access. You'll need a 7mm socket and small ratchet to tighten the jubilee around the TIP to hold it tight on the adapter:

DSC_0252.jpg

I must admit that I then spent quite some time fine-tuning the routing of the various pipes & hoses around the new TIP to ensure a neat installation, and after re-fitting all connections to the main aluminium element of the TIP, ended up with this, which I was pretty pleased with:

DSC_0259.jpg

I decided to spray the aluminium heat shield / filter mount with Halfrauds crinkle black paint so that it blended into the engine bay:

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Finally, after fitting the remaining 90 degree bend and Jetex filter and replacing the engine covers, I ended up with this:

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Very pleased with the installation, and the way the car drives. Hope the pictures are useful to anyone else planning this installation.

Last edited:
how have you found the difference from standard TIP/air filter. in terms of noise/performance and responsiveness?

very nice clean engine bay btw :)

Very neat, nice to see a perfectionist at work :)

How does it feel now? Any data logs to see it's worth?

Despite all the obvious changes and evolutions, the V1 is still an excellent product, and it's the one that kicked off and got the whole ball rolling again for ko4 tuning!

Good work Paul!

Just one thing though, is that oil running down the side of your engine below? Check your half moons and rocker cover gasket.

DSC_0250.jpg

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Tidy install, spraying the heat shield black has made a lot of difference to how it looks.

Don't worry chaps, that's gone now. I knew I should have taken the pic after and not before cleaning it off!

JoJo - I'll be keeping an eye on it now it's cleaned up to make sure it's not returning. There's no obvious leak, so hopefully it's just built up over the years.

Just one question from the install - the front corner of the heat shield touches the sound proofing on the inside of the bonnet when it's closed. Is that right? Ideally it could be 5-10mm lower so it doesn't come into contact, but I can't see any way of lowering it down.

I believe the point is that it 'seals' to prevent the ingress of heat... thus contributing to the 'shield' part of the product :D

<tuffty/>

Yeah, I had considered that was the point, but wanted to check. If so then I'll stop fretting about it!

Wow, just been out for a bit of a longer drive this morning. What a difference! Sounds much more throaty/growly around 2-3k rpm, you can really hear the engine breathing now, and it pulls so much stronger above 5k rpm. Fantastic.

Schweet work Doc! Tidy as always!
Whats next in the pipe line!?

Hi Jay, good to hear from you. Hope your hay fever has calmed down since I last saw you!

Not sure what's next mate, there's always a lot on the list! Need to get some spacers for the new rims really, but the kids are spending all my money as usual! Hopefully Santa will bring me a DA polisher this year (I have been good) so I can really go to town on the shine!

Definitely calmed down, turns out I was also sun burnt! The last never goes away, if anything it just keeps growing...what size spacer are you thinking? Didn't see you at aitp!

No, wasn't at AITP in the end, because we took our 2 girls to Mum & Dad's to stay for the week. Shame, it looked like a cracking club stand.

Anyway, was thinking the usual 10mm front / 15mm rear spacer combination. But as I say, there's a lot on the list. Also want to drop the sump & check/clear out the oil pick-up at some point for peace of mind. Jobs, jobs, jobs...

Good write up. And yeh you should of put pics of clean engine! Lol too many of us have OCD.

Question... How do you find with the jetex? I found it better with standard air box and b5 tip and I preferred the sound!

Cheers, Sean

Jetex is great. Obviously much more noticable air intake/dumping noise when on & off the throttle vs OEM set-up, but so far so good.