AH FabricationsChris Nott

Thread: Power steering

Reverse Gear

Status

Power steering

Just drove down to Monaco on the Saturday just gone made a few stops to give her a break from the heat and then went to start her up last night and I'm getting a really loud noise which sounds like the power steering pump im here till sat the 18th will she survive the drive back and is it easy to chance the pump never done it on an s3 before please would love the advice

Many thanks

Matt

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Has it got fluid in it?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

4th Gear

Status
    Had a similar problem myself recently, Audi had car on a Monday for a service and check over and said everything allegedly OK, on the Thursday (150 miles later) car started fine but steering noisy so took it to Audi 6 miles away, and they said the Pump, rack and cooler were scrap. So I'd be very wary about driving yours as I think once they go noisy its pretty terminal. Mine was just under £2k to fix so not a nice prospect.

Good luck fella

Nige
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Mine did this cos i had a leak in the pipe that runs round the sump.

New pipe was about £70 and not to hard to fit so just check your fluid is still topped up as if not this could be the case.

Oh and if your in Monaco dont forget to take some piccies its lovely there
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Reverse Gear

Status
    This may sound like a stupid thing to say but how do I check the fluid lol. Well I'm gonna avoid driving it about now and see what happens when I drive back

Oh and it is lovely here lots of great views lol

4th Gear

Status
    Hi

Get down Brasserie de Monaco and order some of their 'home made' beer and get some of their postcards/beer mats!

Then when you've surfaced the next afternoon...

Pop the bonnet, there should be a reservoir with a green top on it - that's the PAS fluid. Make sure it's got some fluid in it. I think it's special VAG green PAS fluid?!

Get under the car and look for signs of fluid leaking onto the rack or the tie rods/gaiters and along the pipe work.

I had an A3 where the rack failed (the day after I had it serviced funnily enough ... ) cost me £125 for a recon rack and a few hours labour to fit it.

Could of course be the pump.

I doubt you're the boiling the fluid - the police would have shot you for driving that fast already!

And if you feel like you haven't spent enough in the bars I think there was a Audi garage in Fontvieille on Boulevard Charles III IIRC.

Bon chance!

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Lol cheers Liam. I filled up the pas reservoir it was pretty empty it has stopped the whirring noise but I do have a small leak so I'm gonna havo to just keep topping it up when I drive home and talk to someone English to fix it lol it is lovely here but my god trying to communicate its hard work loooool

4th Gear

Status
    No worries mate!

Keep an eye on the leak. It ain't going to be getting any better and it's a loooong way back home!

Unfortunately the only mechanic I vaguely know of out there is Italian and apparently a bit temperamental.

Monaco is NOT the place to have steering issues. PMSL. Good luck!

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Lol cheers Liam haha well I topped it up and it seemed to fix the issue then 2 days ago it started again me and my pal put it on the ramps and had a good look and he said its a copper ring like a washer that's worn that creating the leak on the rack and isn't that much to repair anyone know what this copper ring is???

4th Gear

Status
    No idea.

I guess it's to do with the seals, sounds like to change it is a rack out job, you might as well put a new or reconditioned one in.

Watch this space, someone who knows what they're talking about will be along to answer your question ...

Liam