Oil pressure

Jonesymk2

Reaction score
Managed to get hold of an agu engine last week,got it all fitted this weekend,had to change the sump from my apy engine so cleaned the pickup pipe while the sump was off,drove the car home and after about 20 minutes of driving the oil pressure warning came on,I stopped at a roundabout and it went off again but then after I came off the roundabout it came on again,got home and theres a rattly noise that sounds like its coming from the sump but not sure what it could be

does sound like a low pressure problem..
fine before you touched it>?

why did you have to change the sump? cracked the other or something?

I bought the engine off eBay but the bloke said in the listing he would give a 30 day guarantee with it so going to contact him today,it seems a bit sluggish compared to the engine I took out aswell which seems weird aswell,I changed the sump as the drain plug had been wound in a few threads at a stupid angle,then when I got it in straight the threads just stripped off,I started the car last night and ran it upto temperature and oil light didn't come on atall,would it be easier to change an oil pump than take the engine out again or does the engine need to be removed to do the oil pump

if its anything like the A4, the oil pressure warning gets ignored by the dash cluster if the engine RPM's are below 2000. So running it at idle wont necessarily tell you anything.

Was the engine black and sludgey inside?

The engine didn't look to bad inside when the sump was off,trouble is when I was driving the car the warning didn't come on till after about 20 mins of driving :-/ would it maybe be worth sticking some engine flush through the engine and see if that makes any difference

Personally, i'd get a proper oil pressure guage on there to see whats actually going on.

If its low, new oil pump required.

It only happens after a while of driving as the oil gets thinner as it heats up, and the thinner the oil is, the more work the pump has to do to keep the pressure up. An old wornout pump wont be able to keep the pressure up high enough.

What oil did you put in it?

I used semi synthetic 10w-40 it's what we use at work and we get it supplied by our local vag dealers

should be fine, i'd generally suggest fully synthetic oil for turbo motors, but 10w40 wont be causing any pressure issues.

should be fine, i'd generally suggest fully synthetic oil for turbo motors, but 10w40 wont be causing any pressure issues.

I will get some synthetic oil put in when I get back to work next week,I think I've found out the tapping noise,I've put red power steering fluid in instead of the green stuff and my mate says that will be the noise,would explain that the power steering pipe that runs round the front of the engine feels like its knocking at the same time as the tapping noise