PCV delete w/o catch can for now - all ok?

Vex182

1x S3 and 3x Fiestas.
Reaction score
Got a couple of leaks in my PCV system, until I get a catch can on my S3 BAM can I route the brake boost pipe just to the intake manifold like tuffty? Can I then block off the other vac pipe in the manifold and just connect the oil filter pipe to the triple joint on rocker cover that then links to the "hockey put valve" then to the tip? Thanks! Wanted to get round to doing this today if possible until I get my catch can ordered.

Last edited:
Anyone able to give some advice? I can't see why this won't work after reading the sticky about catch cans.

You can run a PCV delete without a catch can... this is what I am doing currently..

I detailed a PCV delete/catch can fitting in a previous thread...

All you need to do in your current case is remove the rubber T piece with the PVC valve in from the outlet in the block and join the outlet to the hard pipe (crappy plastic bit that breaks) going to the triple pipe jobber..

Block the vac outlet underneath the inlet mani and connect the servo vac to the 90 degree outlet on the end of the mani... simples

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Essflee
Yeh that's what I thought, the "hard pipe" do you mean the big one above the oil filter, if you do then it is as straight forwards it sounds!

I think I need to make this pic my avatar lol
pipes.jpg

The 'T' I mean is PN 06A 103 247 in the pic... remove that, remove all teh rest of the above too... join from 06A 103 213 F to the pipe going up to the triple hose... block off the outlet on the inlet mani where 06A 133 783 AS was connected and connect the servo vac hose removed from red circled piece bottom left of the pic to the 90 deg outlet on the side of the inlet

Simples... AMK/BAM s3's are dead easy to PCV delete

<tuffty/>

Reactions: DarrenS3 and Essflee
Yeh that's what I have just done, just seems like a lot has come out lol. Just going to go for a quick test before putting the covers on snd getting breakfast! Because I had a leak in this piping, I guess I should hold boost a little better now?

Seems all good! Nothing appers to be leaking, e.g oil deposits etc. All pipes seem tight and I have brakes lol. Cheers.

Would a catch can have to be fitted at some point? or would just doing this suffice? Would doing it without damage the engine in any way?

I'm assuming it has all the same benefits of doing it with the catch can then? Only ask as I have a leak on the PCV system.

After looking at the workshop manual for the BAM engine and reading this website, is it possible to have this setup without the catch can (highlighted in purple and green)?

A3 6589

18 - Crankcase Breather, does this have a one way valve? Is it necessary to remove 06A 103 247, and block it off and just have 06A 103 213 F connecting straight to the Y pipe that's connect to 12 - Pressure Control Value?

The workshop manual doesn't show the vacuum pipes (picture <tuffty/> has attached) for BAM engine - hence, I'm curious to know whether I can have that set up.

Greg-S3, I don't suppose you have a diagram of photos of your set up?

I am looking to do this soon as an improvement.

1. was 2 vac lines to the brake servo a safety feature or will it not matter at all that one is capped off?
2. will it effect any MOT tests with or without a catch can?

when I changed my TIP there was only a small amount of clean looking oil residue on the inside of the hose.

In light of recent experiments I'm not at all convinced a PCV delete is an improvement.

in what respect? I am literally about to buy a 19mm catch can?

I am not particularly looking for an improvement - but as I understood it - the catch-can stops the blow-by gases containing moisture and oil going back through the Turbo Intake Pipe, turbo, throttle body etc. some people comment that you get more octane from the petrol too.

in the way that when most people install a catch can they delete the PCV system rather than add the catch can to the PCV system

well I took the N249 jungle off when I first got the car. This is obviously a project - so I am simply looking for things to do :D

I drove today for 40 mins somewhere went shopping and queued in traffic for 20mins and drive home again, that is actually the first time I have used the car rather than simply blasting round the 15 mile route to test bits and pieces for about 4 weeks. (fingers crossed it still is holding the coolant)

I need to change some breather hose from puck to B5 TIP as it is kinked after fitting the TIP - so was considering going the next step and taking all this off now.

Hi there I want to do the pcv delete but not wanting to install a catch can just get rid of the crap. I am confused as to the hard pipe that tuffty is referring to? I have taken a pic of my engine bay its a BAM.
The pipe I have put a red cross on this comes from the t-piece on oil filter housing so this gets removed and this pipe I have put red cross connects straight to the plastic pipe that's left? what happens to rest of hoses with the hockey puck and also the pipe with green cross goes into the tip.
help appreciated :)
IMG 13771

Ok I done the pcv delete but I am little concerned with the plastic pipe that sits in oil filter housing. I have put the o ring inside the filter housing as I gather it sits in there pushed the pipe in and put the clip on that supposed to hold it in place but to be honest it feels like with abit of force on pulling it up I could remove the pipe easily?

I had a bit of trouble getting my new pipe to fit in there mate,similar problem to you,didn't seat properly and I forced it too much...snapped a bit of the casing...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ad-my-baby-is-home.261997/page-7#post-2924558

I found that smearing the 'o' ring with oil and just rotating the pipe as I pushed down gently it eased in fine,just go careful,I found it's hard to get even pressure on it due to lack of space.

hth

Well I been for a drive gave it abit of beans and its not come of or anything in same position, might buy a new pipe though as it was somewhat old seen better days. Does much pressure get forced out of the oil filter housing?
anyone know where to get a new one of these pipes?

I think it's pressure going into the oil filter housing rather then out of it,I'm no that experienced but I don't think it is that high pressure.I got one of ebay for my S3...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...V&clk_rvr_id=1169650522921&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

When I bought it I did ask the seller to verify it was suitable for my 2003 S3.I've noticed the listing states not for an S3 (fitted mine ok) so might be worth asking first if that's the one you go for.

just a thought can you buy uprated breather hoses?

I am wanting to replace the hard pipe that I put a red cross on with a silicone hose is this possible? found a silicone triple pipe one but can't find the hard pipe one.
thanks.

the hockey puck is this needed now I done the pcv delete, was thinking is it possible to stick a mini breather filter in its place?

thanks.

I tried a little filter it lasted a day then ripped in half full of emulsified gunk. But this was before the catch can was added.

What about hockey puck? I have to remove it and cap the pipe on the tip? I will vent to atmos for now.

Also can i use the free nipple from pcv for boost gauge?

What nipple do ya mean? No boost pressure in pcv so wouldnt work.

he means the nipple you block off on the throttle body, rather than a T piece off the pipe going to the top of the DV

When i delete the pcv i have to block off the nipple under inlet manifold. For this nipple im talking about.