tailgate rattle

Khufu

Reaction score
I've noticed a rattle from my tailgate. I can reproduce it by pushing down on the tailgate when closed. I have noticed that there is two plastic 'pegs' that stick down. I noticed one is up and the other is down. Could somebody check on their car to see whether they should stick down or be flush

Image153.jpg

These are the bump stops for the boot, and determine how tight the boot latch (on the tailgate) clasps the latch hook (on the body) - if they are misaligned, chances are the tailgate isn't closing as tight as it should - hence the rattle.

Remove the large piece of bottom trim on the tailgate, undo the bolts which secure the stops, pull them out/down and then gently close the boot - this will push them in just enough - then tighten them up and your rattle should go!

Cheers, I tried it but its the same, It isnt actually loose, more a squeak that a rattle to be honest. I think it is where the latch in the middle of the picture is sitting on the springloaded flap that covers the striker catch mechanism. Going to try to put something onto the tailgate latch to absorb the noise.

They should stick out slightly. I think mine stick out (at a very rough guess) about 8mm or so.

Also, there are 2 rubber bump-stops higher up on the side of the tailgate.
I find that by boot needs quite a slam to get it to fully shut, otherwise it half catches and rattles, and the alarm won't arm, etc.

Anyway, you can adjust the bump-stops with an allen key by inserting it into the centre of the rubber stopper. When loosened enough, you can push/pull the stopper to the position by clicking it in/out along it's ridged sides, then tighten the allen bolt again to lock in place. Might be worth minor adjustments to these if the lower plastic stoppers don't solve the problem.