Rules on number plates?

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
Hello there everyone

What are the rules on UK number plates these days?

I have a UK registered S3 with German pressed plates
The font is exactly the same as the standard UK plates and the same size, the spacing is also correct.
The only difference is they are pressed plates (white and yellow) with the "D" Euro symbol on the left side of the plates

My friend seems to think ill have problems from the police but so far no problems.

As long as the reg is correct and clear surely its ok to have a different symbol on the side and pressed plates?

Cheers

The "D" is illegal.

Nothing wrong with pressed plates, so long as they use the correct UK font and spacing, and have the appropriate reflective background, and are stamped with BS AU 145d.

You are however only allowed to display GB (or nothing)

Yup, the German symbol will get you pulled, the plates removed, and a £60 fine.

You're telling the world you are German, when you are not.

i have pressed german plates in german font with GB in the blue label area, and ive never had any pulls in over a year from the old bill, however i also have the quick release black plastic plate surrounds, and my original plates stored in the boot, with the hope if i do get stopped it will be a fair police officer and let me change them roadside avoiding the fine. i think the german font isnt what grabs thier attention i think its the 'D' that gets you the pull.

steve