MAF replaced :)

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Morning all,

My MAF decided to go tits up friday so my car threw up lights on the dash, disabled ESP and decided that keeping revs steady and not stalling whenever i took my foot off the loud pedal was no longer an option lol

So had a quick ring round the normal places to acquire a replacment. the Stealers wanted about £130plus VAT and then would give me £30 for my old MAF, TPS was about £10 cheaper and neither had a MAF in stock so would have to wait till monday.

So quick check on ebay and i still coudnt find a genuine Bosch one with the right part number for under £110plus P+P so went on Eurocarparts website and noticed that they were doing an Olympic discount code (see the homepage) so if i spent over £100 i got 25% off so did a quick check and after the discount for my old MAF the total price came out as £67 so a much better deal.

So reserved it and picked it up monday and chucked it on yesterday and cleared all my fault codes and its running better than ever now. Idles much more steadily and so far it looks like my MPG may also of improved as only done abouot 40 miles but looks like i am averaging about 31mpg which is a good 2-3mpg better than before. Which if is true will pay for the MAF in fuel savings in no time :)

Hopefully gonna get some more logging done soon as am keen to see if it has upped my performance too :)

Rob

Good news, well done, I think my MAF maybe on its way, so need to check it out...what did you find were the issues with it before it went and is there a noticable difference since replacing it?

You didnt see my post about getting 31% off at ECP then ;)

Dont worry, its done now and you seem happy enough ;)

Nah mate didnt spot your post ah well still feel better getting it for under £70 compared to what the stealers wanted lol

Before changing the MAF my idle was a little erratic at times and would sorts seek between 800-900rpm. My MPG also seemed to vary alot and never really got over 30 even on a good motorway run.

Now only had the new MAF on a couple of days but the idle seems alot more solid basically stays at 900rpm and so far according to DIS i am averaging 34.5mpg which is 50 50 motorway and urban but i know my DIS is a good 3-4mpg optimistic so will work out the proper mpg after this tank of fuel.

Pretty sure my MAF was the original one on the car so as its 10years old and has 110K put on it plus of course i have upped the performance of the car in the past 12months i have owned it i think it sorta deserves a new MAF and it might save me some money in the long run.

Nice one, its just i think mine is the original one as well and i have knocked up a fair few miles on the car too.....

I just feel that when i put the foot to the floor, it feels like something is holding it back, need to get this checked with the logging first tho.

I logged my car a few weeks ago at our South Central mini meet and with my mods (see my sig) i made 261bhp at 5000rpm and that was on the old MAF so even if it is a bit tired they still work ok just obvioulsy mine was nearing its time hence why it went tits up.

So not sure if logging will show you anything so while the offer is on at ECP i would bite the bullet and swap it for a new one as its not a massive amount of money and could improve a few things for you like performance and fuel economy.

If you have any other peeps locally with the same car then you could try someone elses MAF to see if you can tell any difference as that would be a good way to tell if yours is a bit tired.

i also have a rough idleing ( mainly when cold starting )

my mpg is very odd atm too, i normally do 50/50 urban/motorway and most of the time get a good 100miles to a 1/4 of a tank, but then out of the blue i can only manage 70 miles, with no extra usage of the throttle!! but then it will go back to normal again

i have no fault codes but did undo it to have a look and found a few broken bits of plastic would this affect it?

6946e1b1.jpg

as long as all the pins are making connetion i cant the plastic causing any issues. Have you scanned with VCDS? cos it will flag up if the MAF is reading a very low signal and as i said in my first post it puts lights on your dash and disables ESP.

But sounds a bit like the symptoms i had as my fuel economy was a tad random too and my journeys were quite similar.

I think you should just get a replacment and see how it affects the car as its not a bad idea to replace and old MAF anyway and i had been meaning to do it just mine going tits up forced my hand a little :)

I have had the offer to try someone elses MAF, so will give that a go and see if it makes any difference.

To be honest, my mpg is pretty good as i mainly do mway miles, so to a tenner of V Power i usually get 50miles, full tank on mway miles the other day cost me £75 and that got me 420 miles which I was happy with.

Best i have done is a 400mile full tank which is about 31mpg so yeah your fuel economy seems pretty good mate.