pulled over - forced to have window tints removed. Opinions?

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Alright guys? Finally got pulled over for my front window tints - knew this day would come since I bought the car with them, but hey, what'cha gonna do?

So, removed them today at work (hell of a lot of acetone applied to get the glue off :S). Question it, what do you guys reckon? Prefer it with or without the front window tints? I kinda liked driving with the fronts tinted, especially in the sun - so I may go and get them tinted up to the legal limit again, but dunno.

BEFORE
325070_744622720165_902619028_o.jpg

AFTER
549489_820287657025_1233543165_n.jpg

Prefer it how it is now tbh mate, looks cleaner and classy and not as much like a drug dealers car haha.

haha, quite true. surprised the police didn't search my car at the same time :p

I'd get a 50% tint done. Doesn't help your car is bright yellow :p

Just wear sunglasses when you drive,you'll get the same effect :)

Yea it looks good. Also, the amout of tools I see driving around without their headlights on, no way would I risk that level of tint on the front windows ... insurers could dispute fault over that I recon...

It looks stupid tinted that much, and its downright dangerous at night.

Your standard glass is already at the legal limit, so you wont be able to legally tint them any more.

I can understand puling you for the pimp tint front windows.
I am suprised they didnt pull you for the front number plate too?

They both shout "pull me"

Never been keen on tints. Remove them all, but end of the day its your car so your preference.

Well, if they're at the legal limit already, then I guess that is that :) I don't mind not having them, they came with the car, so i'm not relaly fussed. Think i'll keep the rear tints on though mostly because I hated taking the front ones off lol :S

Also, the front plate isn't bad in real life - I was wondering what you meant when my front plate screamed "pull me" - I looked at the photos and went "oh yeah, it looks like it's blacked out" but in real life it's fine...it must be my phone camera :S And actually, when I got pulled Paul, the cop did say the windows were "pimp my ride" style!! lol

@Wuta. yeah, I had thought about the whole "what would happen in an accident, even if I wasn't at fault" thing...I agree wtih you, insurers will do anytihng not to pay out, so best not to risk it!

When you came down to bristol,my miss's said that you'll probably get pulled,they wer dark,id leave them of,but i don't like tints.

yeah, gonna leave them off, not worth it. Didn't cost me anything to remove them, so not a big deal in the end. Apparently it's 3 points if the cops are feeling mean though!

I drove around in my Passat with 30% tints on front window for 10 years, and on occasion, I was side by side with marked police cars and nothing at all! But last year, I was roadside checked and forced to remove them or face my car being sent to the compound!! I think they are just clamping down in recent years!

On a side note, if you have been stopped for tints, then I'm guessing they would have logged it on their system, so a repeat stoppage would mean further sanctions?

Definitely keep it how it is now mate- then everyone can see your yellow and black interior....as said above I also thought the front windows were factory tinted as much as legally possible.

It's true that if you do have a crash and if something like window tints/ massive sun strip was on the car illegally you would be lucky to get the insurance company to pay out in the event of a claim as they could deem the car defective for road use or link it to why the accident occurred in the first place if a third party was involved

The limit is 70% light transmission iirc, but what most people fail to realise is that even perfectly clear glass only transmits about 80% of the light hitting it.

As a result the very slight factory tint usually takes it down to 70-75% anyway, and any film at all is basically illegal on the front windows.

@jojo Yeah, I imagine they've written it down. Was just a slap on the wrist this time, but no way am I risking points

Law on the front windows being tinted i was told by a copper was no film at all, but if you wanted to, you could paint ur back windows black ( not that you would want to... so dont) :busted_cop:

But yea, tbh im not that keen on window tints unless they light smoke all round, then again it all depends on the car..

Yeh said pull me all day before.

Dont like a real dark tint anyway, even more so on a bright yellow car, looks like a bumble bee, lol:laugh:

As a cyclist I hate front tints - you can't tell if the driver has seen you or not. Prefer to make eye contact with drivers who look like they are going to pull out in front of me.

I've had lots of producers for reg plates and tints , just not worth it now. And Ive grown up, my last 3 cars haven't had anything illegal on them. And before anyone asks why I was only given producers on numerous occasions it's because my cars are registered to my company and police are dumb........... My last producer just said for reg, make, model, year, colour. " BMW" I had 2 BMW's at time so just took my legal one to mot centre.

And your car looks better without front tints! :)