Camshaft Errors in VCDS!

Westy

Reaction score
I had my ECL come on last week and assumed it was just the normal EVAP error so left it. Just checked VCDS and was greeted with the following:

CamshaftErrors.jpg

Now I hope this is just an issue with the sensor wiring as I know the clip is broken when it clips too the sensor. With the 2nd error how do I check the Intake camshaft adjuster? What am I looking for?

Ross-tech says the following but has anyone else had these issues?

16727/P0343/000835 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes
Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Timing misaligned

Possible Solutions
Check Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check Timing

16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

Possible Symptoms
Erratic Idle

Possible Causes
Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting

Second error is most likely a symptom of the first one... the ECU can't see where the cam is because there is a fault with the position sensor...

I would fix the cam pos sensor issue then see if the second comes back... I suspect it won't

<tuffty/>

Yeah that was my thinking. I'll get more time to check it on Thursday but I suspect a loose connection at the sensor. Have you ever wired in a new clip? The little tabs seem to break off of them so easily.

Not on a cam pos sensor but I have on my MAF... but then you know that already as you have been following the updates on my build thread... haven't you lol ;P

<tuffty/>

Not on a cam pos sensor but I have on my MAF... but then you know that already as you have been following the updates on my build thread... haven't you lol ;P

<tuffty/>

Following and remembering are 2 separate things ;)

One day I'll get round to putting an index in my thread!

No idea what that means but it reads like your car went full ******.

2389385-full_retard_super.jpg

Rewiring a plug is easy.
A man of your proven skill should not have any issues with it.

Got the same errors back along with a new one:

CamshaftErrors2-1.jpg

17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation
Possible Causes
Timing Belt/Chain incorrectly installed Timing Chain probably lengthened
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Timing Belt/Chain installation Use Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) to Check Timing Chain

Check/Replace Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check/Replace Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
Special Notes
When found in the 1.8T engine, check engine oil pressure. The oil pump pickup may be restricted.
When found in the 1.8T engine (possibly others too), check to make sure the correct G40 is installed (single gap versus 4 gap).
When found in VR6 4 Valve (BDF, BJS, BAA,) engines in conjunction with 17755 please see Technical Bulletin 15-07-03. The previous Technical Bulletin number was 15-04-01.
When found in a 30-valve V6 gasoline Audi engine (such as EPB or BEL), DTC 17755 may be stored as well. If both of these codes are displayed simultaneously, and the codes only appear after the motor is revved above 1800RPM, then the issue is likely that the cam chain tensioners were installed on the incorrect heads (drivers' tensioner on passenger head, etc).
On engines with chain driven intake camshaft(s), but belt driven exhaust camshaft(s), verify the number of chain roller links between the intake and exhaust camshafts is correct. Click on thumbnail to enlarge:

I think the sensor may have had it!

Have a look what the sensor number is as pretty sure I've got some spare as I've now acquired another head.....so should have 4 sensors knocking around i think
If I've got the correct one I can bung it in with some other goodies should be posting to you tommorrow all being well ;)

Have a look what the sensor number is as pretty sure I've got some spare as I've now acquired another head.....so should have 4 sensors knocking around i think
If I've got the correct one I can bung it in with some other goodies should be posting to you tommorrow all being well ;)

Ahh, I might have a spare sensor but it came from a AEB head so not sure if it's any good. I'll check the number. A brand new sensor is quite expensive but I want to sort the car ASAP so might just shell out for a new one.

Let me know this afternoon if interested and will check numbers as should have 2 AEB sensors and an AGU one that you could try to see if that's what's at fault?

Sensor number should be 058905161B and its the same as an AGU/AEB/AUM blah blah blah

Just found my spare sensor and it's the same part number as my BAM one. Bam on the left AEB on the right:

abffae9b.jpg

Slight differences with the plastic internal clip:

06fa9bef.jpg

BAM:

1a05aac6.jpg

1d656250.jpg

AEB:

ea1f227a.jpg

005f0d0a.jpg

The BAM one looks cleaner and fresher but I think it's done a lot more miles then the older AEB sensor. I cant really see how these sensors can fail, there's nothing to them!

Should be fine then with the same part number. AEB sensor being like 4years older they possible just redesigned the BAM sensor inside to stop rattling or something but it wasnt enough to warrant a supersession of numbers.

The BAM one looks cleaner and fresher but I think it's done a lot more miles then the older AEB sensor. I cant really see how these sensors can fail, there's nothing to them!

cables break down.
Get a bit of moister, oil or something in side and they lose connection.

So far so good!

Fitted the AEB sensor and car wouldn't start! Cleared the error code about the camshaft postition sensor signal too high then it fired up. Just left the car on the drive and reved to 4k. I can see the cam adjuster doing it's thin in VCDS and so far no return of errors. I need to take the car out for a proper drive a bit later :racer:

It is, it says set point not reached, The only thing that can affect that is the VVT or cam to cam timing, I assume that;s untouched at 16 rollers cam mark to cam mark as it should be?

It is, it says set point not reached, The only thing that can affect that is the VVT or cam to cam timing, I assume that;s untouched at 16 rollers cam mark to cam mark as it should be?

The Set Point not reached error is no longer showing only the cam shaft position sensor G40 error.

The timing is fine as It's be fine for a couple of thousand miles since I built the engine in April.

I found the following on another Audi forum and the symptoms the guy mentions in this post are the exact same as mine:

P0343 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High