wiper motor? relay? or something else???

S3_chris 11

Reaction score
As stated in the title, was driving down the road today in the heavy rain, wipers working fine, parked up at work, finished went to drive home again in the rain and the wipers have gone crazy, they will start off fine but gradually slow down the more vertical they get and then go down slower :unsure:

Any ideas guys would be much appreciated, thanks.

Seized wiper linkage? Common problem, lots of threads on this issue for A3's, A4's and mk4 golfs. You can attempt to take it apart and fix yourself or buy a new linkage from a dealer. Had to do mine a few months ago, invoice shows part number A1U2 955 603 C. Cost £49.73 inc VAT

Last edited:
thats the number for the base, was it the base at fault or the linkages? thanks

Yeah it was the base, it has 2 spindles which the wiper arms sit on. Over time crap gets into the spindles and the seize up. The new one I got seemed to be a slightly different design to help stop this happening.

Take the plastic scuttle off and take your old linkage out - you should be able to move it around easily by hand. If not, get a new base, swap the motor and associated parts over and problem should be fixed! Just make sure you mark where your wipers were and fit everything back in the position it was, otherwise your wipers won't follow the usual sweep and could end up trying to get down under the bonnet!