What does 30amp fuse S164 do and where exacty is the fuse pump & relay alocated?

luckymacy

Reaction score
My '98 A3 car all of a sudden won't start (though turns over nicely).

With the fuel pump access cover removed, should I be able to hear the fuel pump at all? I don't hear anything from it even when I'm turning the engine over.

I don't have extensive documentation on the car but I do have the Audi A3 1997 workshop manual Electrical System edition 11.01. I am suspecting it's not getting fuel because there's absolutely no smell of fuel no matter how much I pump the pedal and try to turn it over. I also don't hear any sound that I think a fuel pump should make when I turn the key in the ignition all the way up to engaging the starter. So searching this forum brings me here. I notice that the relay and fuses on top of the battery have had a problem. The 30 amp fuse in location labeled S164 has completely melted the bottom half away of the fuse! But I can't find reference to what the fuse really is used for. I also can't find the fuel pump relay. Can someone be more specific as to where its actaully located? Thanks! A picture is worth a million words here. I can't refernce to fuel pump relay in the workshop manual.

Last edited:
Correction/Update. I Do hear the fuel pump running while I'm turning over the engine. So I guess that likely means the fuel system including relay are fine.

So now I really have to figure out what the burned out fuse and fuse holder location is really for. I still can't reference to fuse S134 or for any of those fuses above the battery.

I checked every fuse there was in the car and all were fine. However, one of the 30 amp fuses above the 12v battery in the engine compartment was VERY fried, literally burned the bottom half of the fuse off and did some damage to the fuse receptical it was in. However, it looks like it may have been that way for a while. I can't figure out what the fuse was supposed to be protecting. Any idea? It's one of the 3 30 Amp fuses in the box above the battery.

Last edited: