how to fix your collapsing tip (loosing power at 5000+ rpm?)

karl210

Reaction score
Right geezers this is following my thread yesterday: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...72-still-getting-loss-power-video-inside.html

I thought i would have another attempt today to sort it out and heres how it went.

So we take one of these, heres one i prepared earlier
DSC_0227.jpg

Then we take off this to find its where it sits on the turbo its ripped, its collapsing and the pcv takeoff has seen better days:
DSC_0224.jpg

Then we bodge it with some pvc pipe and silicone to stop it from collapsing, due to me being diagnosed as mentally retarded i reinforced it in the wrong place and it actually collapses to where im pointing:
DSC_0229.jpg

Then we place the tip where it belongs:
DSC_0230.jpg

Pop into your local car accessories shop, and get one of these
DSC_0231.jpg

Fit it and it makes your car do this

Fixed :rockwoot: Still a slight boost leak somewhere i can tell but thats another thing.

Ok so a completely impartial review:
Ive been a bit sketchy about buying one of these for a while because they are quite highly priced for what they are ( a bit of silicone and a bit of metal) and another reason was a lot of people where having fitting difficulties and mainly the only people who were giving it good reviews seemed to know or was mates with Bill, the creator of this tip.
But after mine giving up the ghost yesterday i thought i can either save about £40 and go sfs or just go for it which i did.
Upon first expectation i was looking forward to a nice box after spending all that hard earned money for some reason (weird i know) but it just came wrapped in bubble wrap, oh well at the end of the day its the product where you want you money to be spent not on the packaging so no biggie there. Opened it up and it was good quality silicone with a very nice metal adapter which i bet would cost a fair whack to have made. The best part though was the jubilee clamps, in my eyes they were the best bit haha, proper heavy duty quality, those badboys aint slipping a tooth no matter how hard and what you tighten them with! and they weighed a ton.
Fitting: Ive read a few people having trouble with fitting and i can kindof see where they are coming from, 1 or 2 of the takeoffs need slightly trimming but a 5 year old can do this and i would rather have them too long than too short. The adapter slid on nicely, the grub screw was a slight ball ache to tighten up but nothing major, took about 2 mins. Bit of fairy liquid on a couple of the takeoffs and a bit on the turbo end and it all fit nice and snug, i had to hold myself back on tightening the jubilee clamps, i wanted to just keep going.
I dont see how people really have a problem fitting it, what i dont think they understand is that the thing is twich the girth :haha:
of the standard item so of course its going to be a tight squeeze in there.
Driving: Well as you can see its fixed my problem but its not exactly a fair test is it because the old one was nackered, but i do have a memory and i do remember what it used to be like before it collapsed.
It doesnt sound as throaty as the standard one did for some reason but the turbo spool sounds much louder and the dump valve is louder too. according to my inbuild dyno from birth it feels like i have overall about 5-10 bhp more from when the standard item was fine but the torque kicks in soo much earlier and carries on so much later than it did before, the thing also loves to be revved, before the power dropped off quite early but it carries on to almost redline now.

All in all very impressed, i dont have tons more power but i do have more power available throughout the whole rev range. Im sure if i bought the jetex filter and it had mapping done after fitting it the results would be at least double the gains i got. Do yourself a favour and put some money aside for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao! Best review in ages, I especially like the part about "bill and his mates......!" " your in built dyno". Iam a human dyno! Lol

I'm glad you like it, my mate has a b5 tip and I must say I'm impressed with it.

Nice impartial review.... One thing , did you remember red silicone?

Cheers, Sean

I believe he means silicon sealant on the billet piece... Bill uses high temp red stuff

<tuffty/>

yeah i put some of the vw silicone sealant on there, same stuff i used on the sump, should hold up :icon_thumright:

i know this is a pants pic and im sorry to hijack dude but can anyone identify this?....

0f8ced21.jpg

6d38bc09.jpg

i am also getting symptoms like yours but am convinced its due to the amount of heat

no problem mate, so your car is behaving the same as mine was in my last thread? whats are you showing us in the pics? everything looks fine to me, what tip is it?

yea thats what im asking haha

it feels fairly flexible, ie i can squeeze it easily when its cold, so with the heat generating when hard on the throttle i could imagine it collapsing, im no expert and have not seen/felt others so wouldnt mind seeing what this one is before i purchase somthing else

ahh could be a cheap chineese one, try wrapping loads of strong tape around it, preferably the stuff with the strands of string in it, and put more or less a full roll on i think that should stiffen it up and see how it goes then, someone else might have a better idea

Knoxie, you could buy a b5 tip when funds allow ofcourse ! I've never seen any reviews of the autobahn one so can't comment if they are any good :-s

Cheers, Sean

Do you have to have the car on ramps to fit one of these TIP's?

nope, 1 hour job on the driveway with simple tools :)

the only thing I would say though with regards to the initial review, is that none of the good reviews about the TIP are from Bills 'mates' in the implied sense.

Yes, we all know Bill, as that's part of having one of his TIPs, but the good reviews are most certainly nothing to do with any friendly loyality, we've all met Bill through being customers of his, and this forum. They're based purely on the strength of many hundreds of happy customers who appreciate the best kit :)

Glad you're enjoying the TIP man, I love mine too!

Knoxie, you could buy a b5 tip when funds allow ofcourse ! I've never seen any reviews of the autobahn one so can't comment if they are any good :-s

Cheers, Sean

ohh im all over it mate!! as soon as i can loose £200 without the misssus seeing haha

have got a B5 TIP V1, never met Bill, but can honestly say that the B5 TIP is a quality bit of kit, and Im very fussy about anything that goes on my cars have to be the very best options available unless stupidly expensive. The B5 TIPs are I feel the defacto choice for S3s, in the same way Billstein B8s are and DS2500s