Limp mode and Speed signal sensor!

MURRAYS444

Reaction score

Hi had my car scanned and had speed signal sensor come up and then had the fault code cleared and my car was running fine now after driving the same code keeps coming up and my car will go into limp mode + the engine management light being on will the speed signal sensor be the cause???

Interesting, I had a dead speed signal sensor on my car and drove it for 10 miles, and it never went into limp mode? Not difficult to change though, it's down the back of the gearbox by the bulkhead side. Just need to remove airbox completely for better access. Part was around £25 many moons ago off the top of my head.

Cheers hopefully that is the problem its been doing my head in i'll try and get the sensor replaced and hopefully everything will be back to normal!

Interesting, I had a dead speed signal sensor on my car and drove it for 10 miles, and it never went into limp mode? Not difficult to change though, it's down the back of the gearbox by the bulkhead side. Just need to remove airbox completely for better access. Part was around £25 many moons ago off the top of my head.

Aye I seen a diagram of where the part is located cheers for the advice on how to fit it that's making me a happy man:icon_thumright:

Aka crank shaft sensor, it can cause quite a few problems, limp mode, fail to start, epc light, crappy running, stalls etc, bit of a pig to get to but I did it so anyone can do it lol

Aka crank shaft sensor, it can cause quite a few problems, limp mode, fail to start, epc light, crappy running, stalls etc, bit of a pig to get to but I did it so anyone can do it lol

Mine was the speed sensor that took the speed of the car from the gearbox. Without it, the speedo never moved(along with the odo). Crank sensor is a different part and is called a crank sensor for a reason, for engine timing, not a speed sensor.

yup - i had a crank sensor issue which threw on the epc light after about 10mins running.........this got worse and eventually would cause the engine to cut out.

It ended up being heat related. When i let the engine cool down, it would start again - confirmed by checking the resistance cold and once hot. - Replacement Bosch sensor from Audi was £108 last september. Pattern parts are cheaper.

When i had my issues it would also cause the intake cam sensor code to flag up as it was basically getting out of sync with the crank sensor whilst the crank sensor was cutting in and out.

Well worth a replacement - i ended up being towed home off the M2.

Aye I was on the way to TPS and the jubilee clip poped off the hose going to the charge pipe:banghead: so never got the part today I phoned TPS and the price for it is £111 so I might be better going to Audi or searching online for a better price! chazza55 my car has begun to struggle to start up too!

bit of an update

Iv ordered the crank sensor and I'll get it fitted soon hopefully this will cure the limp mode and the car will be working ok if that 's not the problem i'll order a speed sensor to hopefully cure the problem fingers crossed :o.k: