Clutch Fluid advice

MattW86

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question in relation to clutch fluid and an unfortunate overheating problem i had today whilst driving back from a shopping trip.

Needless to say the fluid had been boiled to the point where there was no resistance on the clutch pedal and took a full hour to cool down. (brake pedal was perfect)

Should i replace the fluid completely? If yes how easy a job is it?

Cheers

Matt

The clutch uses the same fliud as the brakes... if you have boiled the clutch fluid then I would suggest replacing the lot... I did mine recently using ATE blue... 1ltr replaced all the brakes fluid and bled the clutch..

Use a pressure bleeder such as the Gunsons Eezi Bleed, use less than 20psi pressure (you'll understand what I mean when you get the kit) and blled in this order... rear nerside then offside, front nearside then offside... then do both bleed nipples on the brake master cylinder..

Bleeding the cltuch... use the pressure bleeder, undo the bleed nipple then let some fluid out... tighten and pump the clutch 5 times, undo the nipple again under pressure of the eezi bleed and let some fluid out... repeat a few times more or until you are haoppy there is clean fluid in the clutch... remember to pump the clutch pedal a few times in between (with pressure to the eezi bleed off)

<tuffty/>

The clutch uses the same fliud as the brakes... if you have boiled the clutch fluid then I would suggest replacing the lot... I did mine recently using ATE blue... 1ltr replaced all the brakes fluid and bled the clutch..

Use a pressure bleeder such as the Gunsons Eezi Bleed, use less than 20psi pressure (you'll understand what I mean when you get the kit) and blled in this order... rear nerside then offside, front nearside then offside... then do both bleed nipples on the brake master cylinder..

Bleeding the cltuch... use the pressure bleeder, undo the bleed nipple then let some fluid out... tighten and pump the clutch 5 times, undo the nipple again under pressure of the eezi bleed and let some fluid out... repeat a few times more or until you are haoppy there is clean fluid in the clutch... remember to pump the clutch pedal a few times in between (with pressure to the eezi bleed off)

<tuffty/>

Cheers for the info Tufty,

will have to buy this eezi-bleed device you speak of...or be a lazy bast@rd and get a garage to do it for me. Would it be okay to drive the car still in its present state or lay it up till i get it sorted?

Cheers again,

Matt

Humm... difficult to say... depends how bad the pedal feels I guess... would imagine the worst thing that could happen will the clutch pedal will stay down or the clutch won't disengage or something...

Only you really know how it feels mate... if it feels ok then you may be alright to drive it but I would be geting it done sooner rather than later if you think its feeling particularly bad..

<tuffty/>

After it had cooled down it was literally back to its original pressure straight away. I appreciate what you are saying in regards to getting it sorted asap. Will have to make some enquiries with local garages.

Is this a typical issue with the S3, had the car just over 2 yrs and it has never once had a similar issue.

Was a different experience coming off the motorway at 60mph with no clutch... FUN!!! LOL

cheers again,

Matt