Audi A3 1.8T 1998 AGU Build !!!

Chester999

Speed Freak !!!
Reaction score
Right thought it was about time i done a little write up on my Audi A3 1.8T 1998 AGU build i bought the car for a great price of £850 off a mate running a k03 Turbo Cold Side Induction Kit with an Oettinger 195bhp chip set of RS4 18" Alloys and a Oetting bodykit on it had about 130k on the clock when i got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
First part i bought was the intercooler nothing special just one off ebay.

Intercooler Installed

Next was time to sort the bodywork out a little bit first was the front bumper.

Done all the sanding and preping myself then gave to my mate to to take to his spray booth and spray it up.

While i was waiting for bumper back thought i would carbon vinyl wrap the bonnet for a cheap touch up instead of getting the whole bonnet sprayed.

Bonnet came out alright i thought.

Next a quick touch up of the wheels gave them a little wet sand then just a quick coat of satin black then a coat of lacquer with some new center caps.

How they looked to start with on the left and quick touch up on the right.

Managed to pick a brand new set of angel eyes up of ebay and installed them. Got bumper back and installed that with a nice new oettinger badge to go with the kit.

Looking alot cleaner already.

Reactions: Essexman
Needed 2 new front tyres so popped down to see my mate at my local batchwick tyres and had 2 new tryes fitted and tracking done.

Tyre was starting to look like a slick lol

New one on the left slick on the right lol

Tyres Fitted next was the tracking couldnt get track rods undone out came the oxy settling lol.

Next some better brakes were needed as my standard ones were cracked i have not got any pictures but they were pretty bad.

So purchased some Mintex Grooved and Dimpled Discs with Mintex pads all round.

Discs and pads installed.

Next was a K03 downpipe and decat which i purchased brand new from ebay.

Then the rear center box silencer had to go so purchased a straight through bit of pipe.

Had it all installed but there was a little hole on the pipe coming off the back box so had that welded up.

Sounded alot better not as loud as i was exspecting but could really hear the turbo spoll up.

Managed to pick a set of rear smoked rear lights up not my style really but couldnt turn them down for £15 and thought they would go with the black angel eyes at the front. And a dope sticker just to finish it off lol liked it because it looked like the orginal audi rings.

hi mate, fmic looks great ! and i love the wheel refurb, rear lights look a bit ' halfords ' to me but i like stealthy mods so thats just me. nice look overall though keep up the good work

I did have a problem with one of my pipes kept blowing of it was the standard throttle intake pipe. I guess where i put the front mount on with all bigger pipe work the standard throttle intake pipe could not handle the pressure so that had to go so i bought a Forge DV Relocation Kit. I also purchased a Forge Split-R Dump Valve to go with it.

I then had the engine cover resprayed with the little bit of paint left over from the front bumper just to tidy up the enging bay a little bit.

im liking this one :p love the colour!

any chance for a link to that intercooler kit? looks like it fits nice and easy

I came across these Audi A3 White Plasma Dials and had to have them.

I thought they looked great at night.

I then bought a Digital Boost Gauge and APEXI Turbo Timer.

When i first got the car i thought it was quite quick being my first turbo car but after about 6-7 months of owning the car and winding the actuator basicly all the way out the k03 was just not kicking out enough power anymore lol. So i thought of doing the K03s Conversion because it was quite cheap to do but after reading about people doing the conversion and finding out that they wernt finding it fast enough after a little while of having it done so i thought i would skip that stage go all out and just go straight for the k04 conversion.

So first of all i tried to do the conversion on budget and buying a second hand turbo off ebay for £350 stated it was in excellent condition but when it turned up this was not the case. It was not packed very well for a turbocharger and 1 of the studs was bent the exhaust housing was cracked and the propeller fins were chipped like something had got in there told seller as soon as it arrived and sent him pics and he said it was not like this when he sent it. These damages could not of been caused during transit i was not happy as he was not going to give me a refund.

Exhaust housing cracked:

1 of the studs bent :

Chipped propeller fins :

After speaking to a few of my mates about putting this turbo on my car and they said it just wouldnt be worth it as this turbo would not produce the sort of power i was looking for so just go through pay pal and do your best to get your money back as this will be the best option. So instead of going on ebay and risk spending another £350- £400 on a second hand K04 turbo i thought i would go all out and buy everything brand new so i would not encounter any more problems of bits turning up and being in such a bad condition that i cant even use them.

So the first part i purchased was a brand new Borgwarner KKK K04-023 Turbocharger for £700 from TurboDynamics with next day delivery.

Next was a brand new 3" Relentless Decat & Downpipe i purchased from XS Power for £260 with delivery.

Nicely done mate, the bodykit looks cool, most don't!

Unusual colour, and looks like it'll turn out nice when it's finished. I'd lose the rear lights though.

Also, with ko4 power, you will definitely be wanting bigger brakes! Those 288's just won't be up to the job.

I also puchased a brand new Forge Coolant Hose Kit for £140 with delivery and thought i would save them till i do the conversion as all the coolant would have to be drained.

Nicely done mate, the bodykit looks cool, most don't!

Unusual colour, and looks like it'll turn out nice when it's finished. I'd lose the rear lights though.

Also, with ko4 power, you will definitely be wanting bigger brakes! Those 288's just won't be up to the job.

Cheers prawn yeah is getting there mate just thought i would post a load of pics of the life of my audi a3 lol the colour is cactus green yeah dont see many of them and the kit is an oettinger kit which is quite suttle which i like the back lights i have never liked lol but couldnt turn them down for £15 at the time will be changing to facelift rear lights at some stage when i come across a set cheap will be doing the brakes at some stage to what do you recommend mate?

depends how much you want to spend really mate.

312mm S3 brakes are the cheapest way to go, only needing carriers and discs, and you keep everything else.

For 280bhp+ though I'd be wanting some proper 4 pots.

The rear lights are still rubbish, even if they were cheap. if I offered you a one time chance to catch aids for just £15 you wouldn't take it would you? even though it's cheap :laugh:

Reactions: fanta, Jase s3 and boost-addict
depends how much you want to spend really mate.

312mm S3 brakes are the cheapest way to go, only needing carriers and discs, and you keep everything else.

For 280bhp+ though I'd be wanting some proper 4 pots.

The rear lights are still rubbish, even if they were cheap. if I offered you a one time chance to catch aids for just £15 you wouldn't take it would you? even though it's cheap :laugh:

Was thinking 312mm S3 brakes but will look about first and find out some prices for some 4 Pots. Are these rear lights actually that bad lol i never did like them but thought it looked better than the ****ty standard red ones and you can keep your aids thanks even if there are cheap haha.

D'oh, I thought after you gave £15 for those lights I'd have a sure fire sale with genuine Aids for just £15.....

Standard lights looked better. Facelift would look better again though :)

Thought i would pop round to my local Pirtek to get some new Turbo oil feed/drain and some coolant feeds made up there is 1 coolant feed that i didnt manage to get any pics of.

Next to be purchased was a 3" MAF i found this company in america that made Alloy ones that would fit the same sensor as the audi a3 so thought i would give it a go. It cost about £60 but when it arrived in the country i had to pay custom charges of £18 so was about £78 all in and i paid it because i didnt want to wait another 2 weeks to send it back and get a refund.

And how could i forget a Badger 5 3" TIP had to be purchased aswell dont have any photos of it but all i can say is its a beast didnt exspect it to be such a monster lol. Bill didnt have any blue ones in stock for another 2-3 weeks at the time i needed one so had to order one off Awesome.Com for £180 but had to have it.

Right it was time to get started on this conversion and get everthing out All coolant hoses k03 decat , downpipe , k03 turbo plus all feeds and k03 manifold. Then started to put all new Forge Coolant Hoses back in.

Thought i might aswell change the fuel pipes to some steel braided hoses with some nice blue finishers.

Dont have any pics really of doing the conversion but didnt really have many issues and im no mechanic i just do this as a hobby because i love it lol. The V3 manifold fitted nice and snug managed to bolt the turbo with all lines connected to the manifold then straight on to the engine.

I did have one issue when fitting the down pipe which i do not have any pics of. I had to grind a bit off the flange off the down pipe because it was hitting on the bottom of the manifold but just shaved a couple of mm off and if fit snug.

I manged to pick up a brand new washer bottle for a £5 thought it was worth it to get rid of the skanky old brown one lol. And bought a Porsche 997 Coolant cap for £40 and some steel braided hose and blue finishers to finish it off.

Picked up a Audi Carbon Look Battery Cover for £16 with delivery and had a couple of stickers lying around from parts i had bought for the audi so stuck them on aswell.

Bought a R8 oil cap for £35 aswell to go with the Porsche 997 coolant cap.

Conversion was done and car was running again and sounding a beast couldnt wait to drive it lol. Picture of how it was looking after the conversion but the strut brace was not bolted down just wanted to make sure it still fit with intercooler pipes there.