Newbie with lots of 1.8t engine and gearbox questions

Chris_t

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to audi cars so I'm hoping you can help with some questions.
Me and my brother have a project car and we are wanting to put his a3 sport 1.8t aum engine in the project car and put a quattro gearbox on it to convert it to rwd. The whole loom from the a3 will be used to retain the dials, fly by wire throttle, ecu since it has been remapped, and etc.

Will a 5 speed quattro gearbox from a 1.8t a3 fit an aum engine?

Are the hydraulic clutches and gear selector/cablesoff of the o2j gearbox the same as the quattro gearbox?

Am I right in saying that it is possible and has been done to convert the quattro box to just rwd?

Do the clutches differ from the fwd engines to the quattro engines?

you wouldnt want to convert it to RWD mate, as it will kill your rear diff.. iirc

Will the clutch and flywheel off the fwd aum engine work with the quattro gearbox?

if its RWD, you wont want an A3 gearbox as thats designed for transverse mounting.

An A4 quattro box is the right shape, but you'd need to weld the centre diff.

Alternatively, sort out an adaptor plate onto a proper RWD gearbox like a BW T5.

Would an a4 gearbox match up to the aum engine?

Good there's still hope lol. Any box in particular or will any awd a4 box be ok?

any one will work. gearings different between them all but so long as you avoid the diesel boxes you should be fine.

Don't mean to sound like a party pooper but............... Why?

The cost WTF! For what purposes.......? I can think of many many many better project cars and ideas if you have a wod of cash!

Drifting- Evo weld diff , scooby the same, BMW m3 weld rear diff or up rate
Track- leave it fwd look at prawns build thread ! Bang a big turbo on it lots of suspension goodies
Road- stripped out serious jap stuff , almost untouchable by any s3 under 300bhp ( again my ek9 900kg and 200 bhp was stupid quick)

I'm not having a dig, just inquisitive as to your plans and targets, hopefully I could be of help. But just totted up what I've read off your posts and I can see you at about £5k to achieve RWD a a3 , not much point IMO.

My friend did put a blade rr4 engine in a civic ek RWD on chain and sprocket that was evil but he was a mechanic so fairly cheap.

Good luck anyhow. Sean

hes not building a RWD A3...

Hes putting an A3 engine into some other car that happens to be rear wheel drive...

Reactions: Garry Mollart
Apologies for misunderstanding :) !

However , doesn't this stand to cost even more money?

I see some more pros now as the engine is very tuneable and parts are readily available. I suppose I'm just interested in your project.

Reactions: Garry Mollart
There's no extra cost mate :)... My brother has his a3 that he is breaking so we have all the available parts from his fwd a3 and I need to know what I need to make that engine work with a awd gearbox so we can weld the front dif so it's just rwd?

There's no extra cost mate :)... My brother has his a3 that he is breaking so we have all the available parts from his fwd a3 and I need to know what I need to make that engine work with a awd gearbox so we can weld the front dif so it's just rwd?

Aghhhh I see! :)

Ok, there still going to be an awful lot of work involved, isn't there?

Whats the chassis car then mate?

I'm yet to see a mk1 with a 1.8t engine so we're highly contemplating it :)

Few more questions if anyone can help.

Do every 1.8t 5 speed gearbox's(fwd and awd) share the same clutch,flywheel and starter? thanks

longitudinal is completely different to transverse, but within their respective platforms the flywheel clutch and starter is the same.

IE a FWD A4 flywheel/clutch/starter will work fine with a Quattro A4 gearbox, but wont work with any transverse gearbox.

Ahh i get you.. so aslong as the bits come out of a longitude mounted engine it doesnt matter if its fwd or awd? but the flywheel,clutch and started from a transverse mounted fwd engine wont?