Anyone Using 358mm Discs & Cayenne 6 Pots?

Ryan_W

Reaction score
Gents,

Been doing some research today on the Cayenne 6 pot (17/18Z) calipers and 358mm discs, pretty much the ECS Stage 5 kit.
Since I'm running 19" Ultraleggeras, I'll have no clearance issues, but I'm a little concerned about replacement discs...

I see a few of you opt for the R32 334mm discs and get the PCD machined to suit our 5x100 set-up.

Another question I have, are the adapters to run the 358mm discs easy to source? I can only assume that the generic Porsche > Audi adapters on eBay are for the use with smaller discs?

I know we all get bored to death of these 'what breaks' thread, but after hunting the net, I still haven't found any conclusive answers, so bear with me!

Cheers all,

Ryan

Quite a few guys over on the SRS forum are using the 18Z caliper with a 345mm Mercedes disk, so thats another option to consider. I believe they're fairly cheap, although the offset is likely to be totally wrong for an A3.

The same adaptor that allows you to install a 17Z for 330mm disks should also work with the 18Z for 350s as the extra offset comes from the caliper itself, rather than the bracket.

Reactions: Ryan_W
Ah ha, I now understand! Cheers mate. I'm still a little confused with regards the mounting of the larger discs, from pictures they look to be extremely deep compared to standard S3 discs.

I run ET 23 up front with an 8.5" wide wheel, so fingers crossed, clearance shouldn't be an issue...

Any idea what Merc discs they're running?

I guess the 334mm's would be sufficient, but lets not pretend 358mm's wouldn't look a little bit good behind some 19" Ultraleggeras ;)

What set-up are you using Andrew?

As far as I'm aware, the 18Z calipers use a slightly smaller piston to the 17Z, so pedal feel is pretty much OEM in feel, opposed to the 17Z's which are really pushing the limits of the standard master cylinder...

Ryan, what bhp you running? Do you need this brake setup? Or is it for when you get big power.......?

I only ask because people (lizard and ALD Andrew plus others) with this setup run 500 bhp + !

Bit overkill for stage 1 / stage 2 audi s3 IMO. Unless it is for future massive power gains.

Cheers, Sean

334mm r32 discs are the way forward....ok not quite as blingy or pub ammo'ish but discs are cheap and easily available (paid £120 for new Ecs plain discs for mine) also they don't need machining or anything as already 5x100

Just my 2 pence ;)

if your going to use the R32 disks, surely the 996 caliper is a better match?

Its lighter, pistons are the right size for the master cylinder, and they cheaper too.

Posts 12 and 13 to this thread make good sense to me. :) Sounds like a good option 996 callipers and r32 discs.

Isnt the 334mm r32 disc to large for the off the shelf mounting brackets and 996 calipers? the biggest mount ive seen from creation motorsport is for a 330mm disc with 996 calipers.

arent cupra r discs 323mm? so then there would be some area of pad that isnt touchin the disc?? sorry if this is a slightly off topic...

Isnt the 334mm r32 disc to large for the off the shelf mounting brackets and 996 calipers? the biggest mount ive seen from creation motorsport is for a 330mm disc with 996 calipers.

They're radial mount calipers, if it doesnt clear, you can simply shim the adaptors out by a mm or two.

Wether the offset etc is correct for the off the shelf brackets i've no idea, but it wouldnt be impossible to have some made...

I'm looking to put some money in my S3 (currently stage 1), but want to sort the brakes and handling out before wacking a huge turbo into the mix.

Having 19" wheels, i'll go with the 358's. Now I just need to find out what disc to use and where to source them....

£999 gets you a Ksport 8pot 356mm kit. Going to be much price difference once you faff about with getting these brakes to fit?

Reactions: Ryan_W
The adapters for 18z and 17z are different.

There's also the option to run ECS 2 piece R32 discs, which *should* be easier to get replacements for. ECS are strange about selling the rotors or any parts from their kits. Compbrake used to sell a suitable 350mm 2 piece but I don't think they do them anymore. You'll be hard pushed to find some outside of the ECS kit, although I heard Bill does some? Might be worth a call. I'll get some pics of mine up when they arrive...

I've tried to fit my 6 pots a few times now. Clearance on wheels has to be really good right near the hub. Also the adapters I've got seem to foul a casting mark on the hub and I didn't have time (or power supply) to get the grinder out to make some adjustments.