front anti roll bar change guide?

marshall-12

Reaction score
im swapping my front ARB with an audi TT one on tuesday, was supposed to be getting help doing it but my mate can no longer come along so im planning to tackle this alone.
just wondering if someone could give me a rough guide on how to change one over?

cheers

Easyer on a ramp for a start, remove all under trays front exaust rubbers and hanger, undo steering rack and bottom ball joints and drop links, drop subframe most of the way down to get to some of the more fiddly power stering pipe mounts/guides, then drop subframe all the way down and remove Arb then put it all back again.
Not necessarily in that order and there may be a little left out but that's about the gist of it.

nice simple job yea.

Takes around 2 hours typically.

Support the car on stands, NOT on the subframe. UNdo the subframe bolts, and I'd undo the steering rack too so it's left on the body.

Drop the subframe down, you can leave it conneted on the ball joints so it won't come out totally. Undo the ARB bushes and change out the ARB, then just bolt it all back up again.

i wont have a ramp.
sounds like theres a quite a bit more then what i thought.

ahh okay, how do i go about undoing the steering rack? or is it easier then im thinking. ill have the whole day so time aint an issue

just get under the car and look at stuff mate. It's all a simple case of unbolting stuff, and then bolting it back up

ok mate will give it a good go. any trouples ill comment :) cheers prawn

I've got to change my Inner bushes this week, so shall be watching this thread for tips.......and hopefully it solves my knocking issue

Just remember to realign your subframe best u can by centring the bolt holes, there may some tools to do the job to hold it in place but I just squared it up.

yeah will do.

yeah zek i should be able to see where the bolts where tightened up too, usually a clean circle, ill use them to allign it back up

whats the hack to it?
subframe is dropped but cant get the bast**d out lol how do i undo the steering rack? :s

Be careful. A Clumsy garage wrecked the steering column on my Wife's bosses TT by trying to drop the subframe without disconnecting the steering rack from it first.

The rack is bolted to the subframe from underneath, four thirteen mill headed bolts I think

ah. ill do the subframe back up a little first then.
ill crack on. cheers

all 4 bolts removed, passenger side has come loose but drivers side wont and thats where i need the space?

the rack. all bolts are off, passenger side swings freely from rack and body, the back of the drivers side from the rack is loose but its the front :S ****** weird if i had summin to cut the thing i would lol

got angry.
picked up a hammer and screwdriver.
twatted the thing.
sorted.
arb is out and new one just arrived haha

anyone got a pic with a tt arb fitted? with tt drop links to coilovers?

yep got it that way. and
everything back on and tight. both sides of the arb are touching the wishbone, but tbh nothing is spinning and them 2 touching is alot better then the driveshaft touching, but will effect handling?
also when i turn left, the drivers drop link is mm away from driveshaft now
blank.gif
but it is jacked up on axle stands?

scratch that all is well :)

everything done no rubs or bangs plenty of room when i turn right and left ready for more lows in a few days when the coilovers have settled :p

thanks to everyone that helped me and for even telling me that this can be done :)