Need a new clutch & DMF Any recommendations

tamtom

Reaction score
Anyone done this job themselves, is it worth doing it on your own or is it too involved.
What is the best clutch to get, i'm looking at getting it remapped upto 180-200bhp max don't want to spend more than £500 on parts though.
Should i go single mass flywheel or keep the original dmf?
i love the launches from standstill, would a single mass be better?

Oppinions please peeps.

Cheers

if remapped its recommended the Vr6 Clutch & G60 solid Flywheel conversion, very good kit for the price and works ace :) Single mass is the better way to go as DMF is more pricey and heavier.
Cheers

Chaddy. This is a genuine question out of curiousity. Why does the clutch and flywheel need replacing for such a minimal gain ? surly Audi didn't sit there and think hmmm i know lets fit this new A3 with a clutch thats not good enough for the job ?

well honestly I asked the same questions, well purely its that your stock clutch & flywheel already has wear & tear on it and would slowly but surely begin to slip in time to come if your driving style is flatfooting from start etc, all it boils down to is your current clutch strong enough and healthy enough for the job + hows the life on it currently. Should you do hectic pull aways,stand still burnouts,fake double clutching, etc then expect the clutch to take a beating to & end early, should you only nail the car after 2nd gear and while rolling then its not too harmful on the clutch etc. so personal preference if your pocket can afford it...... do it sooner than later :) but the stock setup in good condition should be able to handle 180 - 190bhp, I have a buddy with 200+bhp in a 1.8T AUM spec thats clutch is still well and working. as mentioned its all on how you treat your clutch and how you drive :) Cheers buddy

cheers for that mate. was infact a usefull post. I did how ever mean that if replacing the clutch, would a brand new oem one not be good enough. but to be honest I know that there are better clutches out there to be had.

Sorry to the OP for the thread jack.

jamie

Vr6 and g60 would be nice but if your only looking at 200bhp max then oem should be alright? Im only running about 185bhp atm but I needed a new clutch before the remap. Audi oem one was fine, £300 for clutch and flywheel.

My opinion is a standard clutch would be fine on an A3, I know RichA3Turbo was running a standard clutch with 320bhp on his IHI 1.8T, not sure what he's running these days though?

On an S3, it's a different due to the extra strain you get from the Haldex/4WD part, not to mention the extra weight it's carrying!

I been looking on ebay at LUK kits, £350 all in for DMF, slave and clutch kit. What u think?
If i want to go down the g60 / vr6 route where do i get the kit from.

GSF ? or VW i would think or try awesome.. free delivery in UK

If you lot think that the clutch needs to be upgraded for a remapped car you're all ****** nuts.

The OEM clutch is actually a VERY good clutch as long as it's in good condition.

My OEM clutch having done 35000 miles with me, and was a refit so it had deffo done more than that, managed to handle 445 BHP and 320 LbsFt torque.

OK, that's a clutch on the S3, which is different, but it's the same basic parts.

An OEM clutch will be 1000% fine.