Wierd juddering at very low speed/revs

• Thread starter imported_shkwav
  • Start date
I

imported_shkwav

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could give your opinions on a wierd problem i've had with the S3 the other day...

Coming back from work, car warmed up fine and got to a road where i could see a long traffic queue up ahead. Slowed down gently ready to join the queue and eventually slowed pretty much to a halt. So i'm moving slowly up a hill on a dual-carridgrway at this point... Now the wierd juddering starts! I was doing maybe 3-5 mph up the hill in 1st, and the whole car was making a noticable vibration - i could feel it coming up through the stearing wheel. I'm thinking at this point i've picked up a puncture and going flat as i'm rolling which is causing the issue. I drive along for another 1/4 mile at this speed, with the juddering constant and pull into a parking zone. Turned the ignition off and got out expecting to find a flat or something stuck to the bottom of the car maybe - but there's nothing! Everything looks fine. So i take a good gander round it but can't see anything odd at all. Get back in the car, start the ignition and suddenly everything is fine!! It's back to normal like nothing had happened!? I've driven about 60 miles since then and it's not re-occured.

Any ideas what this could be - should i be worried?

Thanks!!

Kev

Anyone have any comments on this? As after giving the car a really good throw around on some country roads it happened again! When dithering along afterwards in a traffic jam going up hill... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks,

Kev

where you letting the car pull itself up the hill on idle or were you giving it a bit of throttle?

Would place my bets on it being front CV Joint needing replacing. Had it done on my S3 end of last year.
Does the knocking happen at all speeds? Have you tried driving slowly with a full lock on the steering wheel (ideally in a car park!) to see if the knocking is any worse?